What's new

GEM Type Sample

I just placed an order for a sample of four GEM type SE blades. I’ll try to post some comparisons.

These include stainless, coated stainless, and a couple carbon types.

17148C89-2F34-48ED-B943-7F3064C47528.jpeg
Here are the blades on received. I’m think of trying the blue carbon first in a Heavy Flat Head aka G Bar.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've tried the carbon blades a couple times, typically in a Micromatic OC. They seem to be the sharpest of their format on first use (hand stropped) but even with rinsing and an alcohol dip they seemed to have a degraded edge pretty quickly. I'll be interested in your experience, maybe it will lead to another trial here .. I have some leftover from before ...

I've tried the carbon blades a couple times, typically in a Micromatic OC. They seem to be the sharpest of their format on first use (hand stropped) but even with rinsing and an alcohol dip they seemed to have a degraded edge pretty quickly. I'll be interested in your experience, maybe it will lead to another trial here .. I have some leftover from before ...
Yes, I was expecting they would have a short life. I'll post my experiences. Thank you.

I've never changed blades in mid stream, but I did today. The "blue carbon" was immediately uncomfortable never gliding or cutting regardless of how I changed the angle. All attempt to use was met with resistance. I changed to coated stainless GEM (PTFE) and all went very well. The "blue carbon" will be moved to the shop for other activities.

Yikes.
I think we all need to say at one time or another, “I’ve never changed blades in [mid stream], but I did today.”

I've observed that carbon blades tend to be rough on the first use and then settle down on subsequent shaves. I'm not a big fan of carbon blades but they are the only choice for my Durham Dorset and Durham 300 razors.

Out of curiosity I came home and tried the blue carbon in the 1912. It's still rough, but I think I could manage a one pass in this razor.

Top Bottom