What's new

Gem SE vs. Injector, your thoughts?

It has been well documented on these boards, that the plastic injector cartridges designed by Personna don't perfectly align with the Injector's head. This means it requires some fiddling to get the blade to inject correctly.

The actual metal Schick cartridges are said to be vastly superior. I found an actual Schick Injector cartridge at a small local pharmacy, and I plan on reloading it once it is empty (carefully of course, using a screwdriver to depress the spring, and a pair of pliers to actually insert the blade).

Agree - I have a stash of NOS blades in the metal cartridges - I think these are better than most of the blades currently on the market.

The only injector I've used was a G type eversharp-schick injector. It tore my face apart three times and I never touched it again.

GEMs give me close, easy shaves.

The older injectors (the ones with the small bakelite/plastic handles) are very aggressive shavers. The later models are much better shavers IMHO.

Agree - I have a stash of NOS blades in the metal cartridges - I think these are better than most of the blades currently on the market.

The older injectors (the ones with the small bakelite/plastic handles) are very aggressive shavers. The later models are much better shavers IMHO.

Yep, that's what I used. Totally chewed me up.

A classic case of ymmv.:huh: I use S/E Gem's 90% of the time and get fabulous shaves,but the G Type Injector is a favourite of mine. It is as good as any Gem and very good in tight spots like under the nose and jaw areas. It is the only razor I own that I haven't nicked myself with.:biggrin1: Go figure.

I'm actually traveling right now using a DE, but I love my SEs and injectors. The idea that injectors are too simple and therefore somehow boring never made sense to me. Simplicity is good.

If you tear your face up with an older injector, it may just be defective. See if the blade is loose. Other than that, I get about the same end results with Gems and injectors. I like the antique coolness of the SE razors, but the inexpensive functional look of an injector has its own attraction.

Gem SE blades give me about 5 good shaves, CVS or Schick injector blades at least 7.

A classic case of ymmv.:huh: I use S/E Gem's 90% of the time and get fabulous shaves,but the G Type Injector is a favourite of mine. It is as good as any Gem and very good in tight spots like under the nose and jaw areas. It is the only razor I own that I haven't nicked myself with.:biggrin1: Go figure.

What blades do you use for it?

I'm thinking maybe the reason I was chewed up by mine so badly is because I used Pella blades rather than blades marketed for shaving.

I'm thinking maybe the reason I was chewed up by mine so badly is because I used Pella blades rather than blades marketed for shaving.

I've used an L model and three different G models and have never had the bad experience you did. Kinda wonder if maybe the razor is out of whack.
I've only used the blades I buy at CVS or Rite Aid. I have noticed when loading one of the older G models the blade can drag across the blade stops. For some reason it doesn't do this in the newer L model. Dragging across the stops can't do the blade edge any good, so maybe that had something to do with it.

The older Injectors should not tear your face up regardless. They are more agressive shavers, but we are talking shaving aggressiveness, not blood in the sink aggressiveness. I tend to agree you have a bum razor so don't write the whole line off.

I prefer the newer Injectors like the Type L, but the older ones are fine too. As mentioned, Injector shaves are the most effortless shave there is. It is like cheating and feels very cartridge-like. The end result is really quite good, but not as good as a GEM. :biggrin1:

I doubt that is the cause of your troubles.

Lot's of people have used the Pella blades without any issues. They are super sharp, and PTFE coated. They are basically the equivalent of a blade specifically sold for shaving.

Gee I hope not! I just placed an order last night. I have a nice G6 that I want to have a go with:

View attachment 98604

Sure does look like an ancestor of the M3, doesn't it?

At least now I can compare the shave from 3 distinctly different type of razors and I may I never succumb to the straight.

-jim

I'd say SE and injector razors shave equally well overall, although each has their own advantages and disadvantages. Had I purchased a SE razor first, however, I probably wouldn't have bothered with DE or injector razors at all.

Well, thanks for the responses--not to jack a thread or anything :001_tongu

I really liked the way the G type felt in my hand, but the shave was really brutal--I mean, dozens of tiny cuts all over my neck. Never had this problem with any other razor.

I'll give another one a try if I ever see one for cheap. I do like the way those hydromagic ones look.

Hi there. I was lucky enough to score 120 nos Schick Stainless blades.:biggrin1: They are superb.

It may have been the blade. My first injector blade had the very edge of the blade, fin if you will, rolled slightly upward as it sits in the razor. It was a real drag to shave with. I swapped it out for another blade.
I still like my DE and SE razors best. The Gem SEs give a phenomenally close shave. I can get just as good a shave with my DE by using one more pass.
The advantages of the DE, for me, are that blades are cheaper and last longer, and the razor is easier to maneuver under my nose, than the SE.

But hey, BBS is BBS, right? As long as you don't have any irritation, whatever works for you is the right choice.

Top Bottom