What's new

Gem Se thread adapters

Newbie checking in..
Any members know a solution on the 8/24 thread pitch Early Gem , Kampfe and such Se Razors
Would like to use Longer, custom Handles ..Possibly some sort of Adapter solution.. any help would greatly be appreciated

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
There are a couple of options.

One, which I don't consider an option, is to rethread the hole in the razor head to fit a 10-32 or M5x0.8 pitch. There's really not enough meat there to do that effectively, and it ruins the threads for the vintage handle. You would then need a short piece of threaded rod in your chosen pitch to screw into your handle and thence into the razor head.

The two viable options are...

1. find a machinist (which could be you) who will make a small piece of threaded rod. One end is 8-24, the other is either 10-32 or M5/0.8. The double ended adaptor will fit into the razor head and have the correct threading on the other end of the stud so that you can screw on a modern handle. Someone made some and I got a couple, but I got them from another person and can't remember who made them.

2. For a bit more fiddling but a workable solution if you can't track down an adaptor, you can make a handle from a piece of doweling and put a 6-32 thread insert into the end of it. You could make a metal handle as well and drill/tap a 6-32 hole in it. I have done both. Then you will insert a short 6-32 screw down through the 8-24 hole in the head and then screw your handle onto the screw.

Option 1 is more congenial in my opinion, but I did Option 2 because I had the tools and materials to do that. Later a kind friend sent me a couple of the short threaded adaptors. I have one left, having sent one on to a new owner when I sold off a Damaskeene.

O.H.

Top Bottom