What's new

GEM SE Blades, Coated vs. Uncoated

Several years ago, I purchased a box (100?) of Ted Pella PTFE-coated GEM SE blades. I don't use SE blades every day, and since I was getting at least 5 or 6 good shaves from them, it's taken me a long time to use up the box. I was down to my last blade a couple of months ago, so I went online (eBay) and purchased 25 GEM SE blades. What I didn't check was whether they were coated or not. I tried the first one last week in a GEM 1912 razor that I've always enjoyed and it was terrible; very rough and dull. After the first pass, I set the razor aside and finished my shave with a Fatboy that was already loaded with a blade. I tossed the blade and figured it was just defective and would try another one later. Later came this morning when I loaded up a Gem G-Bar razor with one of the blades and tried again. It was barely adequate. I was able to finish the shave, but it required multiple passes and blade buffing to get the quality I normally get with a basic two-pass shave.

The bottom line is I'm going to relegate these uncoated blades to the toolbox for paint scraping and other non-shaving tasks. I just ordered some Ted Pella PTFE coated blades that should be here in a few days. Based on prior experience, I expect I'm going to get much better results.

I’m thinking that the coating smooths out the shave for the first three shaves while your face is acting as a strop. PTFE blades always become smoother by the fourth shave. By the fourth shave the coating is gone but the factory edge has been refined.
I think if you you took an uncoated blade and stropped it, it would smooth out that factory edge.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Several years ago, I purchased a box (100?) of Ted Pella PTFE-coated GEM SE blades. I don't use SE blades every day, and since I was getting at least 5 or 6 good shaves from them, it's taken me a long time to use up the box. I was down to my last blade a couple of months ago, so I went online (eBay) and purchased 25 GEM SE blades. What I didn't check was whether they were coated or not. I tried the first one last week in a GEM 1912 razor that I've always enjoyed and it was terrible; very rough and dull. After the first pass, I set the razor aside and finished my shave with a Fatboy that was already loaded with a blade. I tossed the blade and figured it was just defective and would try another one later. Later came this morning when I loaded up a Gem G-Bar razor with one of the blades and tried again. It was barely adequate. I was able to finish the shave, but it required multiple passes and blade buffing to get the quality I normally get with a basic two-pass shave.

The bottom line is I'm going to relegate these uncoated blades to the toolbox for paint scraping and other non-shaving tasks. I just ordered some Ted Pella PTFE coated blades that should be here in a few days. Based on prior experience, I expect I'm going to get much better results.
Hopefully they work out for you, I buy mine from Connaught shaving UK because I live up northern Canada where they do not stock Gem blades at all any where. It takes about 2-3 weeks to deliver + good company to deal with and are reasonably priced, especially with the US dollar.

Follow-up:
I ended up ordering some "Ted Pella" blades from an eBay seller. There is no way these are actual Gem/Personna coated SE blades. They are like trying to shave with a hack saw blade. Terrible experience! So, I'm still in the same predicament of having a nice stable of vintage SE razors with nothing usable to put in them.

Tell me: Where should I go (in U.S.) to get a supply of actual shave-ready SE blades? I probably want to get at least 25 or 50 so I don't have to got through this experience again in a couple of years! :001_unsur

Tell me: Where should I go (in U.S.) to get a supply of actual shave-ready SE blades? I probably want to get at least 25 or 50 so I don't have to got through this experience again in a couple of years! :001_unsur

The cheapest source I've found for the Accutac Personna brand of Gem style razors isn't in the US.
Connaught sells them at a good price and has a good turnaround.

Top Bottom