What's new

Gem Re-Sharpening

Rolls Razors have an "auto" honing and stropping system built into the case. Could probably rig an adapter to fit a Gem blade. I get good results using the still original blade in mine.

As to the time "waste". I am a woodworker and as such I spend a lot of time building items I could just as easily buy from the store. Rarely can I build it cheaper than buying, but it is a hobby and a certain amount of satisfaction with the completed items.

I honed a Gem Duridum blade on my stones using this handle and used it in my Gem Junior Bar Lather Catcher and it gave me the best shave I ever had from a safety razor. I went through my honing progression just like i would fir honing a straight razor 1500 Shapton to set the bevel 5000 Shapton the refine the edge 8000 Shapton to refine it even more than my Surgical Black Arkansas to finish it. Here is a couple of pictures in progress I didnt take pictures of each stone.
20200726_030905.jpg
20200726_033726.jpg

I am waiting for an Allegro Mod. E stropper, not for sharpening used blades, but maybe I can get industrial 2 bevel blades sharp enough to use them for actual shaving, my last experiment with an Apollo GEM blade into a Henckels Rapide was not satisfying at all.

Top Bottom