What's new

GEM Razors

For all you EverReady folks that use GEM blades which razor would you recommend for a first timer. I gotta admit my best shaves ever we’re with a OB V1 that I no longer own. It seemed the forgiveness of that thing matches the the GEM blade was a match made in heaven. That’s why I’m wanting to dip into vintage razors that take the GEM blades. I have fairly sensitive skin so I’m not wanting anything to aggressive, but I also have a dark, coarse, thick, beard structure when it grows out. What’s y’all a thoughts.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Ever-Ready 1914 (Little Lather Catcher) or an Ever-Ready 1912. If you don't mind a GEM brand versus an Ever-Ready, you can also do a Gem 1912 (virtually the same razor as the ER-1912). The Gem Junior (not the Lather Catcher, although that is an excellent razor), but the 1912 style 1912 Gem Junior is a good choice as well. Here's where I would start, it's a thread by @Ron R, and he does a superb job of examining, gauging and displaying the Gem Razors in an efficiency vs aggressive chart. See here: Gem Razor

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Excellent advice from @Flintstone65 there. The 1912's and 1914's have a nice pleasing audible feedback you just don't normally see with safety razors and they are nice efficient shavers. I'll piggy back from another thread I commented on just a moment ago and put in a word for later Gem models. The Feather weight, G-Bar, and Push-Button are all very nice shavers as well.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
For all you EverReady folks that use GEM blades which razor would you recommend for a first timer. I gotta admit my best shaves ever we’re with a OB V1 that I no longer own. It seemed the forgiveness of that thing matches the the GEM blade was a match made in heaven. That’s why I’m wanting to dip into vintage razors that take the GEM blades. I have fairly sensitive skin so I’m not wanting anything to aggressive, but I also have a dark, coarse, thick, beard structure when it grows out. What’s y’all a thoughts.
We meet again, good question and fellows above answered a lot of what you wanted to know. I like the Gem Junior parade 1912(any 1912 brand model is great) with the tapered baton handle and the Gem Feather weight is another one I enjoy and is milder than than the 1912 models. I like to use the Feather weight for the first 2 or 3 shaves with a new GEM Personna SS PTFE blade.
If you are looking for blades for a razor you are considering you might look at Connaught shaving UK, very reasonable priced and carry the Gem SS PTFE blade you will want.
Expect 1-2 weeks delivery.

Gem JR Parade Mfg 1943 variant (2).jpg Gem Jr Gem Feather weight 1950-53 (2).jpg Gem Feather weight(1OZ)
If you like Everready razors and like audio feed back while shaving you might consider the ER 1914 that Fred @Flintstone65 mentioned & that is a another great shaver like the other fellows mentioned.
Ever Ready  1914 LLC mfg 1914-17 (2).jpg Everready 1914-17
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Top Bottom