What's new

Gem Razors

You are good at cleaning up a razor. :) Let say $5 each (which is close to what I paid).
$5 for all three and small shipping cost. The pics made them look so bad and I like that, not any other bids but mine But I am a wiz at cleaning those Vintage Razors up All the springs seem in working order, just not put a blade in any yet. I have a few things in my queu before I get to a series of videos on them.

$5 for all three and small shipping cost. The pics made them look so bad and I like that, not any other bids but mine But I am a wiz at cleaning those Vintage Razors up All the springs seem in working order, just not put a blade in any yet. I have a few things in my queu before I get to a series of videos on them.
That’s even better, I meant I paid $5 each. You are in for a treat I believe.

That’s even better, I meant I paid $5 each. You are in for a treat I believe.
I think so too. Maybe do leg shaves with them and then later do those videos for my channel.

p.s. still need to send that Fat Boy to get repaired lol I featured the razor you gifted me in one of my recent videos.

Could someone identify the names and dates of these three GEM razors for me?
proxy.php
Still trying to find manufacturing dates for these. Any helpful information will be gratefully appreciated.

Sad how far I am falling down the Gem Rabbit Hole...now looking at a Gem Micromatic in the Bakelite Case from 1939 so I can have a Micromatic.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Still trying to find manufacturing dates for these. Any helpful information will be gratefully appreciated.
Really nice score -- and an amazing price!!! These gems (literal and figurative) are so inexpensive, and definitely seem to be cheaper by the dozen! I too am used to the world of Gillette where there are date codes and many more amateur historians who have compiled info on even the undated razors. Luckily we have @Twelvefret who has a real skill for finding info on these beauties. I actually went on and picked up a copy of the Wait's Safety Razor Compendium over at Razor Emporium (it's not terribly expensive), but for most of the SE's, the best date info is from the dated ads in vintage publications that our friend has located.

Sad how far I am falling down the Gem Rabbit Hole...

Me too - I'm in London UK and we don't get many Micromatics for sale here at the kind of prices you can buy them in the USA. Plenty of ER 1912s for next to nothing (I have 4). I bought a Clug-Pruf off eBay USA and I'll get a Bullet Tip when one comes up at the right price. It will take time to collect a few at the right price, since shipping adds a lot. Agree that Twelvefret is a real resource.

I am hooked! I used that G Bar and fell in love. Then tonight I used the1912. Two pass BBS shaves on both. These give amazing shaves! After I use the Push Button, I will do my video reviews on my YouTube Channel, She Shaves with Jill :) Then the Micromatic I got should be here to do that one too.
Everyone has been so helpful and I sincerely appreciate it!

Me too - I'm in London UK and we don't get many Micromatics for sale here at the kind of prices you can buy them in the USA. Plenty of ER 1912s for next to nothing (I have 4). I bought a Clug-Pruf off eBay USA and I'll get a Bullet Tip when one comes up at the right price. It will take time to collect a few at the right price, since shipping adds a lot. Agree that Twelvefret is a real resource.
How does the Bullet Tip shave? What years was that produced?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I am hooked! I used that G Bar and fell in love. Then tonight I used the1912. Two pass BBS shaves on both. These give amazing shaves!

Yep. Once you get the hang of them, DE's just cant compare.

I had a feeling you might come to really appreciate the SE blades. They're so much smoother, even if you do feel the blade more.

How does the Bullet Tip shave?

The Bullet Tip for me is too mild.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I am hooked! I used that G Bar and fell in love. Then tonight I used the1912. Two pass BBS shaves on both. These give amazing shaves! After I use the Push Button, I will do my video reviews on my YouTube Channel, She Shaves with Jill :) Then the Micromatic I got should be here to do that one too.
Everyone has been so helpful and I sincerely appreciate it!
I was shocked how well the vintage SE razors shave. Welcome to the SE amazing shaves club!

How does the Bullet Tip shave? What years was that produced?
The Bullet Tip was Produced in the mid
1940s and it is a very efficient razor.
And on all accounts is one of the best.
With all due respect to @Esox he can't
Get a tug free shave from a brand new
Fether DE blade on it's first shave , and
Seems to be hung-up on some ridged
Blade theory so if it's not a MMOC it's to
Mild for him , I wish he would atleast
Sometimes talk about efficiency to
Those who are new to SE or De shaving
But even if he doesn't he's still a STAND
UP GUY IN MY BOOK

Yep. Once you get the hang of them, DE's just cant compare.

I had a feeling you might come to really appreciate the SE blades. They're so much smoother, even if you do feel the blade more.

The Bullet Tip for me is too mild.
I actually found the angle to be more intuitive than a lot of other vintage razors. Yes, you feel the blade, but that's not a bad thing. The trade-off is a fantastic shave!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The Bullet Tip was Produced in the mid
1940s and it is a very efficient razor.

Efficient compared to what though? Compared directly to my Grande its no more efficient and slightly less so.

With all due respect to @Esox he can't
Get a tug free shave from a brand new
Fether DE blade on it's first shave , and
Seems to be hung-up on some ridged
Blade theory so if it's not a MMOC it's to
Mild for him , I wish he would atleast
Sometimes talk about efficiency to
Those who are new to SE or De shaving

I can get a tug free shave with a Feather, but only in a rigid design. Thats what makes the difference for me. It may not for you and you should be glad lol. I wish my whiskers were easier to shave.

I talk about efficiency of various razors all the time! You're obviously not reading my posts! :001_tt2:

GEM Bullet Tip. PTFE 2, flipped.

PdP 63

Maggard synthetic.

49 hours since last shave.

One pass ATG, one very light clean up.

Lots of buffing at a shallower angle with the flat of the cap just off my skin. It worked better. Its as efficient as my Grande with a Polsilver, but more comfortable and even easier to use. It did struggle a bit over my swirls so I was down to 1" - 1 1/2" strokes, where the MMOC is 3" or longer strokes.

Comparing the Bullet Tip to the MMOC is like comparing my Brit Old Type clone to my Grande.

But even if he doesn't he's still a STAND
UP GUY IN MY BOOK

As long as I'm still a standup guy haha. :001_cool:

I actually found the angle to be more intuitive than a lot of other vintage razors. Yes, you feel the blade, but that's not a bad thing. The trade-off is a fantastic shave!

Yeah. Its so intuitive because the correct angle is built right into the head. The different flats on the MMOC also work to that effect. With a fresh blade I use the flat center of the cap against my skin. By shave 4 or 5 I'm on the flat nearer the comb.

steep.jpg

As the blade wears, my angle steepens and the pressure I apply increases to keep the same level of efficiency.

There is no denying the fact that the thicker SE blade is smoother and honestly, I find feeling that much blade leads to a more accurate shave. If you cant feel the blade, its very easy to drop the angle.

Whether blades are SS, SS coated, or carbon single edge blades they need to be 3 facet blades. Double or single facet blades are utility blades and are not suitable for shaving. Only 3 facet blades are suitable for shaving.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Whether blades are SS, SS coated, or carbon single edge blades they need to be 3 facet blades. Double or single facet blades are utility blades and are not suitable for shaving. Only 3 facet blades are suitable for shaving.

Thats the difference! Thanks.

Top Bottom