What's new

Gem Razors

Okay here is the deal, thanks to garyg selling me a Gem G-bar and the Ted Pella blade group buy.... I am hooked. Kinda afraid if I don't stop with the SE's right now I'll never use any of my DE's again!!! And now a whole new AD to attempt to control. :lol: So what SE razors does one need? Which one is the best? The only ones I have are the G-bar and a featherweight I got in a lot from the 'bay. These two seem to be identical except the handle. So come on guys what do I need?

You need a classic 1912 GEM and an Ever-Ready 1924 for starters.:thumbup: As for the "best"? Most of them are very good, and your own face will be the real judge. I find the 1912 Junior to be the most forgiving of the bunch.

Same story as mine, once I used em a couple times I was amazed at how well they work. Now I only use a de once a week or so, mainly because I have some really cool ones and a lot of blades!
What do you need? One of each kind eventually, but for now I'd suggest getting one of the 1912 models. They can be had fairly cheaply and they just flat work. I've been enjoying a Micromatic Clog Pruf lately and an open comb Micromatic once I mastered the beast.

Okay here is the deal, thanks to garyg selling me a Gem G-bar and the Ted Pella blade group buy.... I am hooked. Kinda afraid if I don't stop with the SE's right now I'll never use any of my DE's again!!! And now a whole new AD to attempt to control. :lol: So what SE razors does one need? Which one is the best? The only ones I have are the G-bar and a featherweight I got in a lot from the 'bay. These two seem to be identical except the handle. So come on guys what do I need?

You need a classic 1912 GEM and an Ever-Ready 1924 for starters.:thumbup: As for the "best"? Most of them are very good, and your own face will be the real judge. I find the 1912 Junior to be the most forgiving of the bunch.

+1

And also you should really try the Open Comb Micromatic. Wonderful razors.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
+1

And also you should really try the Open Comb Micromatic. Wonderful razors.

I'm a big fan of the Micromatics. I am a sucker for the TTO and they slice through my whiskers like no other.

MM .. Micromatics, and they are very reasonable in price, lots of different cases .. I love the blade exposure on the Open Comb, the one pictured was employed today for a great close shave. There is usually one on the B/S/T ..

Attachments

• $MMgroup.jpg
    $MMgroup.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 229
What SE's do you need? Let's narrow down the field and ask, "What SE's don't you need". Well, you shouldn't ever touch the... um, no wait. Never use... no that's good too. Oh ya! Never, EVER use "Satan's Razor", the... OK, that's a nice one as well.
Alright, here's the deal. I'm in the firm position that one should try every razor that is within his means, no matter what anyone else has to say about it. There is no such thing as a bad razor, only bad technique.:tongue_sm

MM .. Micromatics, and they are very reasonable in price, lots of different cases .. I love the blade exposure on the Open Comb, the one pictured was employed today for a great close shave. There is usually one on the B/S/T ..

As long as everyone's getting all fawny and sentimental over these things, if you want, I've got a set of all the micromatic guard styles -- 4 pieces (pushbutton bar, coarse-comb-bar, fine-comb-bar and open-comb) -- on the B/S/T right now.
(egad, did I break a rule by saying that?)
-- Chet

Just because nobody else is going to mention it, I was amazed at how well the Gem Contour II worked, the last razor they made I believe. I wouldn't rate it higher than the 1912s, or my Gem Junior Bar, or my Kampfe Lather Catcher, but I would rate it as high as any of the later closed safety bar designs. About equal to the Bullet Tip Micromatic, which I also like.

Of course, I've gone full bore SE RAD on these, with way more than I need. Add in the injectors, and I've got a rather unwieldy rotation.

I've been using the STAR, lather catcher razor, which is similar to the 1912, along with the GEM feather weight, GEM Open comb micromatic, and the Gem G bar. All razors shave great and I've only used a DE about a half dozen times since getting the Ted Pella blades in the group buy. The SE shaves close, comfortable and I get a BBS with almost every shave. The blades last a long time and I toss a blade after 7 to 10 shaves. They might last longer but why risk the chance.:thumbup:

Sthe contour II already got a mention, but if you can find a contour, it's a really nice razor with less plastic than the later contour II. Both are very modern looking and great shavers.

Top Bottom