What's new

GEM Razors Efficiency/Aggressiveness Chart

Hello, Ron and I have put together an Efficiency/Aggressiveness chart for GEM Razors. The data reflect our opinions.
According to your experience, do you agree with our classification? Or how would you score your razors. Any other razors should be included? If I will get enough data, I will plug them in and have a more complete chart.
Thanks, Claudio

Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 3.36.20 PM.jpeg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I like it....a lot!!! Can you define or refresh my memory of Aggression? Is it comfort (e.g., perhaps lack of blade feel), or likelihood to bite (e.g., requires careful attention to technique or there is blood)? I'm in the middle of a work project, but I'll weigh in with my numbers when I've got some time.

I love this kind of stuff -- thanks for sharing!!!

Last edited:
Hi Fred, perhaps we should intend all of the above in the definition of aggressiveness?

D

dangerousrazor

Nice chart! ,though I think the definition of aggressiveness should be more clearly stated. and if you're including ER 1924, I think ER1914 also should be in the list.

D

dangerousrazor

If I rank them in terms of aggressiveness, my list goes like this.

Featherweight< G bar,MMFW< Pushbutton < Lather Catcher, Damaskene < Gem 1912, Junior< ER 1924 <ER Streamline < MMCP < MMOC < ER 1914

Help me with a better definition of aggressiveness. Since, I think, proper technique should be a given, would “confort” be more appropriate? I have no experience with ER 1914, which values would you give this razor?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Here is my definition of Aggression and Efficiency and that should be a whole different thread more than likely.

You will hear Aggressive and efficient razor opinions mentioned a lot on the threads if you read a lot of articles on razors.
I have my view and it's in the ball park but its my opinion and others views are fine because they Gage it differently and nothing is written in stone.
Aggressiveness: its the parameters the manufacture has set in blade gap(predetermined or varying as like in a adjustable razor) and blade exposure(positive,neutral,negative) with guard(hybrid or dimpled or just smooth straight) and Cap(OC,normal or Scalloped) also weight (plastic, brass,stainless steel,aluminum..)all combined before a shave starts in it's static tightened blade loaded razor. As the shave starts Blade feel aggressiveness indicates as it mows whiskers.

Efficiency: With the set parameters of the razor by manufacture and blade loaded how well did it perform with good hand technique along with 1st & 2nd shave use with a new sharp blade by operator of the razor! = end results DFS or BBS. (
Another way to bump up efficiency is to shower or hydrate skin & beard with warm towel, use a new Gillette silver blue blade with your favorite razor should give you even better results.)

Some times I like to rate razors from 1 to 10 and it might eliminate a lot of words but its more a personal opinion like every thing in shaving. I made this quick chart up that in my estimation when thinking were that razor characteristics lays after about a hr after the shave by how my skin & beard feels and that determines my efficiency rating of that razor used.(A few revisions)

Latest revision on Agression and effiiency chart Aug 16-2018.JPG

Safety_Razor_Parameters_around_Blade_Cutting_Edge (3).jpg
Have some great shaves!

Ron R

[/QUOTE]
Help me with a better definition of aggressiveness. Since, I think, proper technique should be a given, would “confort” be more appropriate? I have no experience with ER 1914, which values would you give this razor?
I just did a comparison a few months back between the ER 1914 (LLC) and the ER 1924 (shovel head) and hopefully this will help @CLM54

Everready 1914 (Little lather catcher, LLC ) mfg 1914-17 Ever Ready  1914 LLC mfg 1914-17 (2).jpg

Weight:
1.8 oz (52 grams)

Blade Gap: .017 thousands of a inch (.432 mm)

Blade Exposure: Positive

Blade used: GEM Personna SS PTFE

Material: Brass head coated with Nickel alloy + steel handle with Nickel alloy coating.

Handling: One of the easiest razors to use possibly that uses a GEM blade IMO.
Results were stellar and smooth with very little irritation and that is a bonus for most of us. I never really felt threatened at all while into the 1st shave.

Shave #2 , I liked this razor right from Shave #1 and decided to put it right a way into the E.R slide maneuver 3 or 4 times, tried some buffing with no problems and “J” hooking maneuver was pleasant. Results CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum block indicated no irritation.

Shave #3, I decided to try adding a little more pressure to razor while stroking my face (A NO,NO for some) and it still gave enough protection also to give me a CCS,DFS,BBSwith buffing the troubled areas with no issues. Alum block indicated no irritation and after a few minutes of skin rest looked like my normal complexion.

Shave #4, Good all a round shave with nothing dramatic. I find this razor excellent for buffing. Results CCS,DFS,BBS & Alum block indicating minimal irritation.

Shave #5 was a easy going shave, I find the razor will take a little pressure with out biting and smoothness is excellent.
Results CCS,DFS,BBS & alum block indicated minimal irritation. Razor is indicating a excellent daily driver potential.

Shave #6, this razor for it time period must of been a hot seller in sales because it performs well with a modern Gem blade with the thinner spline, Everready were promoting their blades like Corrux & Radio blades with much thicker splines for the time period. Just great Audio feed back as if cuts whiskers and can be used to make slight adjustments as the shave proceeds making another positive for the razor.
Results CCS,DFS,BBS & Alum block indicates minimal irritation.

Shave #7 is the last shave before I start using the ER 1924 shovel head model for another 7 consecutive shaves of daily shaving. I will install a new blade to see how it behaves for 1st shave. Gem blades are one of the sharpest blades on the planet and 1st have can be a little rough sometimes.
The shave went well and no big surprizes and I felt I knew the chartristics of this razor well and just did a routine great shave with a new blade installed.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum block indicating a minor irritation around the chin area today =:thumbup:

Conclusion : The Everready 1914 LLC is a great razor and will give the operator a smooth and close shave with reasonable hand technique. ER 1914 razor is also a excellent daily driver that is a important characteristic to some of us. The quality of the razor is very high and coatings are excellent and thick to stand the test of time.(over 100 yr old razor)
This razor has no blade overhang that is another plus and for trapping water inside the head when rinsing was not a issue for myself or tens of thousands of others. Installing and removing blades was not a issue, just hold it flat and level and slowly raise the cap to release spring pressure on the blade. Audio feed back is good and some like that- myself included because it signals possible clean up areas or missed areas. Expect shaves to be CCS,DFS,BBS range with reasonable hand technique with minimal irritation to make your shaving a great experience. I’m very happy to add this ER 1914 to my razor rotation and look forward to using it when I pick the ER 1914 up for another shave in the future.

Everready 1914 -mfg 1914-17+ L.L.C. (2).jpg

Some information for folks who have no Everready owner manuals and a little extra information on the Gem blade grind .......
E-R1924Instructions and Case (4).JPG Gem procedure (2).jpg Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg GEM blade grind angles.jpg blade_angle-se-de.gif
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I love @Ron R for his analytical approach and willingness to share his musings. I've learned a lot from his insights and find that we must have very similar skin/growth type because we are almost lock-step. Of course he's had a lot more experience with SE shaving then I have (I only really began diving hard into SE razors over this past year) but I'm building my knowledge and collection. I love these types of informational posts that grow our collective understanding. Well done.

Ron R

I love @Ron R for his analytical approach and willingness to share his musings. I've learned a lot from his insights and find that we must have very similar skin/growth type because we are almost lock-step. Of course he's had a lot more experience with SE shaving then I have (I only really began diving hard into SE razors over this past year) but I'm building my knowledge and collection. I love these types of informational posts that grow our collective understanding. Well done.
Thanks for the kind words and I still enjoy Vintage razor history aspect of our hobby and the challenges that some owners have with proprietary blades and delicate repairs to keep them serviceable.
Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom