What's new

Gem Razor Models

Pic the Gem you like shaving with. Multiple choices allowed!

• Gem lather catcher

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Gem Junior

Votes: 65 25.9%
  • Gem 1912 Damaskeene

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Gem Mico Matic Clog proof

Votes: 79 31.5%
  • Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle(Flying wing)

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Gem Micro Matic Open Comb

Votes: 99 39.4%
  • Gem Push button

Votes: 36 14.3%
  • Gem G-Bar

Votes: 64 25.5%
  • Gem Feather Weight

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Gem Contour

Votes: 9 3.6%

• Total voters
Okay, so I'm re-reading the posts here again and the love for Gem razors is quite heartwarming. Is anyone surprised at the results of the poll? The MMOC has been voted as the number 1 Gem, with the Damaskeene not far behind. I was surprised to see the lather catcher and the junior voted low on the poll. Maybe it has something to do with their availability.

Okay, so I'm re-reading the posts here again and the love for Gem razors is quite heartwarming. Is anyone surprised at the results of the poll? The MMOC has been voted as the number 1 Gem, with the Damaskeene not far behind. I was surprised to see the lather catcher and the junior voted low on the poll. Maybe it has something to do with their availability.
Good observation. Those are really an 19th century design.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I think it's a virgin Gem 1912 razor :a47:, if not, it was hardly ever used IMO. Just excellent shape for a Gem greenhorn who is still waiting on my blades, Canada post was on a rotating strike has really pushed parcels way back.:santa: Santa has come early this year.
View attachment 931753
Thanks to @Twelvefret for some postings and found out that the Gem 1912 that I just received was packaged around 1921 from the Safety razor Compendium book.
Great information for GEM owners who like to know more about their razors!A Safety Razor Compendium: The Book
I ordered a MMOC right when I started the GEM RAD and it was sent to the wrong address and hopefully that gets straightened out.

Ron R

I was on another forum talking about Gem razors and this fellow mentioned that he did not get a good shave from his bush button Gem.
When I bought my push button I noticed it did not close the top lid tight so I mentioned to him how I did a quick fix and maybe others are having issues and this might help.

This might of been your issue with that razor? Easy fix!
I examined my push button razor when I first received it and noticed that it did not clamp the top of the blade that well like other models I own and in fact there was a slight gap.
Gem razor tighness issue1 (2).jpg

Being a maintenance machinist and examined it closer I figured that the plastic push button with clearances from factory to make it slide at the back was possible worn after 70 years so I made a plastic shim (.015 thousands approx from a yogurt lid cut to fit the indent at back) to take up the looseness.
Gem razor tighness issue1.2 (2).jpg

The final results are no looseness so less chatter of blade to make your shave better. Plastic shim will not get in the way of the shave and now you should be able to enjoy the razor once more. The Gem razor plastic push button is the "weakest link in the chain"(Metaphor) for this model. All the other models I have some kind of top pressure and with the shim added it also does in mine now. I left a visual shim on the razor blade photo if anyone wants to make some(make at least 6 for lost... and also have the 90 degree bend). Once the shim is in place, load blade and push button like you normally would and shim should stay in place as top cap clamps or pins the blade to base plate. Hope this helps folks who have this model, It is one of the nicest looking Gem razors I own IMO.
Gem razor tighness issue1.3jpg (2).jpg

Last edited:
I was on another forum talking about Gem razors and this fellow mentioned that he did not get a good shave from his bush button Gem.
When I bought my push button I noticed it did not close the top lid tight so I mentioned to him how I did a quick fix and maybe others are having issues and this might help.

I examined my push button razor when I first received it and noticed that it did not clamp the top of the blade that well like other models I own and in fact there was a slight gap.
View attachment 931915
Being a maintenance machinist and examined it closer I figured that the plastic push button with clearances from factory to make it slide at the back was possible worn after 70 years so I made a plastic shim (.015 thousands approx from a yogurt lid cut to fit the indent at back) to take up the looseness.
View attachment 931916

The final results are no looseness so less chatter of blade to make your shave better. Plastic shim will not get in the way of the shave and now you should be able to enjoy the razor once more. The Gem razor plastic push button is the "weakest link in the chain"(Metaphor) for this model. All the other models I have some kind of top pressure and with the shim added it also does in mine now. I left a visual shim on the razor blade photo if anyone wants to make some(make at least 6 for lost... and also have the 90 degree bend). Once the shim is in place, load blade and push button like you normally would and shim should stay in place as top cap clamps or pins the blade to base plate. Hope this helps folks who have this model, It is one of the nicest looking Gem razors I own IMO.
View attachment 931918
Great looking razor. I've had a couple on my watchlist but have held off so far. There are so many in great condition too. How does the shave compare to other GEM models?

Great looking razor. I've had a couple on my watchlist but have held off so far. There are so many in great condition too. How does the shave compare to other GEM models?
They are billed as less efficient than the MMOC. Personally, I find all that I’ve used to be very effective is achieving the desired result with a PTFE blade.

Thanks! You just solved the problem I’m having with my featherweight.

View attachment 931915
View attachment 931916

View attachment 931918

Ron R

I will let you know in a little while, I have one Gem blade and it's so dull it's not worth the effort to shave with. When I test razors I do certain things to see if I like the model like j hooking, Gillette slide, shimming, how aggressive the feel while shaving and post shave 1 hr after shave feel after a 5 or 6 shaves. Shimming a Gem with certain models is not going to happen for sure. I have a chart I will show were that razor falls IMO so others might like to know. It's a interesting hobby and not that expensive but it is a good past time experience and I like to shave my beard.
Have some great shaves!;)

I will let you know in a little while, I have one Gem blade and it's so dull it's not worth the effort to shave with. When I test razors I do certain things to see if I like the model like j hooking, Gillette slide, shimming, how aggressive the feel while shaving and post shave 1 hr after shave feel after a 5 or 6 shaves. Shimming a Gem with certain models is not going to happen for sure. I have a chart I will show were that razor falls IMO so others might like to know. It's a interesting hobby and not that expensive but it is a good past time experience and I like to shave my beard.
Have some great shaves!;)
I’ll send you a couple of the PTFE if you are in the US. Just PM your address.

Ron R

I’ll send you a couple of the PTFE if you are in the US. Just PM your address.
Thanks for the offer, shipping to Canada is a lot more money then in the states. I ordered 30 Personna PTFE blades from Connaught UK and it has been 3 1/2 weeks and it will be 1 to 2 weeks more because of our postal rotating strike I'm guessing.

Last edited:
WOW, great bargin @Droo78. Good inexpensive way to see if you like SE. I use a E2 Schick every Sunday and that is one great razor as long as you get the new blades. I got some old blades at the antique store were I purchased my E2 and they are not as sharp as the new ones. What a difference a new sharp blade makes in a Vintage razor to make it a enjoyable event!

Based on your affinity for the E2 Schick, I put a bid on one. I love the caramel color handles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron R

Based on your affinity for the E2 Schick, I put a bid on one. I love the caramel color handles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good for you, they are one of the simplest designed razors and just give a great shave. I modified mine a little and if you get one great. They are very common and are found in Antique stores & flea markets also.They are mid range aggression and efficient if you want to know IMO.
New razor aggression chart of most of my razors approxmate areas of concern..jpg

Ron R

Some of the Gem razors that I own and I did some measurements and observations.
Gem Featherweight:
Blade Gap: .023 thousands of a inch(.58 mm)
Weight:1 ounce (29 grams)
-Good blade securement and not much blade flex because of the good raised blade support posts on base plate lather ports to pinch the blade design!

Gem push button:
Blade Gap: .023 thousands of a inch (.58 mm)
Weight:1.56 ounces (45 grams)
-Good blade securement and not much blade flex because of the good raised blade support posts machined on the base plate lather ports to pinch the blade design!

Gem G bar :
Blade Gap : .023 thousands of a inch (.58 mm)
Weight: 2.1 ounces (60 grams)
-Good blade securement and not much blade flex because of the good raised blade support posts machined on the base plate lather ports to pinch the blade design.
4 high lighted points were the blade is pinched for good rigid blade support around the lather ports.
Gem G bar blade support (2).jpg

Gem 1912:
Blade gap:.023 thousands of a inch (.58 mm)
Weight : 2.4 ounces (68 grams)
-lots of blade flex because the lack of blade supports like in other later models.
People who use this model mention a lot more audio feedback and that is from the lack of blade support is the main reason IMO.
Folks really like using this model and enjoy the audio feed back.(the sound of scraping toast.)
As the picture points out not much for blade support. Users mention it likes to sing and that contributes IMO.
Gem 1912 no blade support (2).jpg

Some of the Gem razors that I own and I did some measurements and observations.
Gem Featherweight:
Blade Gap: .023 thousands of a inch(.58 mm)
Weight:1 ounce (29 grams)
-Good blade securement and not much blade flex because of the good raised blade support posts on base plate lather ports to pinch the blade design!

Gem push button:
Blade Gap: .023 thousands of a inch (.58 mm)
Weight:1.56 ounces (45 grams)
-Good blade securement and not much blade flex because of the good raised blade support posts machined on the base plate lather ports to pinch the blade design!

Gem G bar :
Blade Gap : .023 thousands of a inch (.58 mm)
Weight: 2.1 ounces (60 grams)
-Good blade securement and not much blade flex because of the good raised blade support posts machined on the base plate lather ports to pinch the blade design.
4 high lighted points were the blade is pinched for good rigid blade support around the lather ports.
View attachment 932567

Gem 1912:
Blade gap:.023 thousands of a inch (.58 mm)
Weight : 2.4 ounces (68 grams)
-lots of blade flex because the lack of blade supports like in other later models.
People who use this model mention a lot more audio feedback and that is from the lack of blade support is the main reason IMO.
Folks really like using this model and enjoy the audio feed back.(the sound of scraping toast.)
As the picture points out not much for blade support. Users mention it likes to sing and that contributes IMO.
View attachment 932568
Awesome. The authoritarian guide on gem razors. Thank you for all the efforts and information !

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Top Bottom