What's new

Gem Razor Models

Pic the Gem you like shaving with. Multiple choices allowed!

• Gem lather catcher

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Gem Junior

Votes: 65 25.9%
  • Gem 1912 Damaskeene

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Gem Mico Matic Clog proof

Votes: 79 31.5%
  • Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle(Flying wing)

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Gem Micro Matic Open Comb

Votes: 99 39.4%
  • Gem Push button

Votes: 36 14.3%
  • Gem G-Bar

Votes: 64 25.5%
  • Gem Feather Weight

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Gem Contour

Votes: 9 3.6%

• Total voters
I think it's a virgin Gem 1912 razor :a47:, if not, it was hardly ever used IMO. Just excellent shape for a Gem greenhorn who is still waiting on my blades, Canada post was on a rotating strike has really pushed parcels way back.:santa: Santa has early this year.
View attachment 931753
Wait till you hear that baby sing. I have one just like that and, I don’t know what it is, but the audible feedback on my 1912 gold plated Gem is wonderfully loud. It must be the gold.
:a5:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Wait till you hear that baby sing. I have one just like that and, I don’t know what it is, but the audible feedback on my 1912 gold plated Gem is wonderfully loud. It must be the gold.
:a5:
Maybe it's the front part of the open comb acting like a orchestra of Jews harps vibrating away as it snips the beard whiskers.:lol1::thumbup:

Finally took my recently acquired Ever-Sharp 1912 for a run. First time using a SE and I now see why there's so much love. I used a Gem PTFE as recommended. Loved the audible feedback and the stiffness (rigidity) of the blade.

Hopefully I'll get the angle and pressure correct soon so I can achieve the irritation free lower neck (seeing as though that was a major reason for trying an SE).

Anyway, I enjoyed my shave today not just because I enjoy trying new tools, but also for the nostalgia knowing this razor was made so long ago.

-Andrew

proxy.php
proxy.php

Ron R

Finally took my recently acquired Ever-Sharp 1912 for a run. First time using a SE and I now see why there's so much love. I used a Gem PTFE as recommended. Loved the audible feedback and the stiffness (rigidity) of the blade.

Hopefully I'll get the angle and pressure correct soon so I can achieve the irritation free lower neck (seeing as though that was a major reason for trying an SE).

Anyway, I enjoyed my shave today not just because I enjoy trying new tools, but also for the nostalgia knowing this razor was made so long ago.

-Andrew

proxy.php
proxy.php
Great looking razor, looks like it is almost new also. Man they must of put a lot these razors out the factory door because _bay has lots of different models of Gems available.
Have some great shaves!

Thanks @Ron R . It is very shiny! The razor shipped with 17 blades too (4 different varieties). 4 Gem PTFE, 4 Gem Stainless Steel, 5 PAL Blue Carbon and 4 Gem Carbon Steel. Gonna have to try them all. The previous owner most likely ordered 20 blades and tried just 3 of them; then auctioned the razor and blades to me. For $12.50 (8.75 plus 3.75 shipping), I'll take it.

I think it's a virgin Gem 1912 razor :a47:, if not, it was hardly ever used IMO. Just excellent shape for a Gem greenhorn who is still waiting on my blades, Canada post was on a rotating strike has really pushed parcels way back.:santa: Santa has early this year.
View attachment 931753

Looks like you received my gold cousin! Good looking razor.

Ron R

Thanks @Ron R . It is very shiny! The razor shipped with 17 blades too (4 different varieties). 4 Gem PTFE, 4 Gem Stainless Steel, 5 PAL Blue Carbon and 4 Gem Carbon Steel. Gonna have to try them all. The previous owner most likely ordered 20 blades and tried just 3 of them; then auctioned the razor and blades to me. For $12.50 (8.75 plus 3.75 shipping), I'll take it.
WOW, great bargin @Droo78. Good inexpensive way to see if you like SE. I use a E2 Schick every Sunday and that is one great razor as long as you get the new blades. I got some old blades at the antique store were I purchased my E2 and they are not as sharp as the new ones. What a difference a new sharp blade makes in a Vintage razor to make it a enjoyable event!

-Andrew

proxy.php
proxy.php
Congratulations! This looks awesome. Almost mint ! Enjoy.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

View attachment 931753
Awesome acquisition ! For the age it is really mint condition. This is the wonderful part about Gem style SE razors. Near mint bargains and built solid, it will survive our life time too !

Who said they didn't have a big following? The Micromatics sold in the millions and competed well in the market. Gillette market share in the 30s went into lthe low teens. From 1939 the low cost production of the stamped sheet metal Tech no doubt freed up a lot of $$ for national advertising that it was hard for ASR to match. The profit margin on the Micromatics given their materials, build and complexity must have been miniscule.
The numbers warm my heart ! Mint condition razors enough for everyone to go around today and then some more !

We need to keep buy those Personna PTFE blades in bulk to keep Personna happily keep their manufacturing going and keep the Gem party going !

WOW, great bargin @Droo78. Good inexpensive way to see if you like SE. I use a E2 Schick every Sunday and that is one great razor as long as you get the new blades. I got some old blades at the antique store were I purchased my E2 and they are not as sharp as the new ones. What a difference a new sharp blade makes in a Vintage razor to make it a enjoyable event!

I still have not yet tried an injector razor. Just what I need, another razor to buy :) :nono:
My kids already roll their eyes enough and ask why I need so many razors...

Congratulations! This looks awesome. Almost mint ! Enjoy.

Thanks. The only slight blemishes I can find are superficial scratches on the top that appear to be from the razor sitting/being shipped in the box. I am very happy with it.

-Andrew

proxy.php
proxy.php
Congratulations.

A Safety Razor Compendium: The Book

The Saturday Evening Post

I tried injectors - have a couple of Injectomatics to sell now. Too light for me, too short, wouldn't load B-20 Prolines without hassle, and in any case blades were much more expensive in the UK. In short not nearly so interesting as GEMs and Artist Clubs razors. I don't see the love for injectors at all. On the other hand, I'd recommend that all DE shavers try a SE razor like a cheap and amazing Ever-Ready 1912 or a more expensive Artist Club like an ATT SE1 with Proline P-30s. Those two alternate with my 6C and they're equally good if not better.

I tried injectors - have a couple of Injectomatics to sell now. Too light for me, too short, wouldn't load B-20 Prolines without hassle, and in any case blades were much more expensive in the UK. In short not nearly so interesting as GEMs and Artist Clubs razors. I don't see the love for injectors at all. On the other hand, I'd recommend that all DE shavers try a SE razor like a cheap and amazing Ever-Ready 1912 or a more expensive Artist Club like an ATT SE1 with Proline P-30s. Those two alternate with my 6C and they're equally good if not better.

Had you access to Schick blades and '30's Schick injector types I feel you would understand why we love these razors. One benefit over the GEM type is how well it works under the nose and other areas where other razors are ineffective.

Had you access to Schick blades and '30's Schick injector types I feel you would understand why we love these razors. One benefit over the GEM type is how well it works under the nose and other areas where other razors are ineffective.

Yes - under the nose is a big plus of course. I did use a new Dutch Schick Platinium which wasn't nearly as good as the GEM PTFE or Prolines. For some reason the UK is a blind spot for Chinese Schicks - can't import directly and have to get through Amazon at a premium. The B-20s import directly to the UK but don't inject, and anyway the AC versions are cheaper and the ATT SE1 is in a different league. I'm sure injectors are more viable in the USA.

Yes - under the nose is a big plus of course. I did use a new Dutch Schick Platinium which wasn't nearly as good as the GEM PTFE or Prolines. For some reason the UK is a blind spot for Chinese Schicks - can't import directly and have to get through Amazon at a premium. The B-20s import directly to the UK but don't inject, and anyway the AC versions are cheaper and the ATT SE1 is in a different league. I'm sure injectors are more viable in the USA.
If you could locate a early E Type called an E1, they open so that a blade does not need to be injected.

If you could locate a early E Type called an E1, they open so that a blade does not need to be injected.

Yes - I made loads of notes on which models could take B-20s. But I'm still left with downsides that I find injectors too light and short, and the blades aren't as good except for the B-20s, and they're more expensive than P-30s. I just don't see it for me personally. It would be like using a GEM Featherweight when you could be using a Clog-Pruf or MMOC.

Yes - I made loads of notes on which models could take B-20s. But I'm still left with downsides that I find injectors too light and short, and the blades aren't as good except for the B-20s, and they're more expensive than P-30s. I just don't see it for me personally. It would be like using a GEM Featherweight when you could be using a Clog-Pruf or MMOC.

I wouldn't make that comparison because the value of a razor for me is not only in its heft. The MMOC is a different design as later model GEM's.

My Barbasol and Sheffield/Watts DE razors are the heaviest in my collection. What makes them so good is blade exposure, not weight.

Don't take that I am arguing or trying to sell something...just conversing.

Top Bottom