What's new

Gem Razor Models

Pic the Gem you like shaving with. Multiple choices allowed!

• Gem lather catcher

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Gem Junior

Votes: 65 25.9%
  • Gem 1912 Damaskeene

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Gem Mico Matic Clog proof

Votes: 79 31.5%
  • Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle(Flying wing)

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Gem Micro Matic Open Comb

Votes: 99 39.4%
  • Gem Push button

Votes: 36 14.3%
  • Gem G-Bar

Votes: 64 25.5%
  • Gem Feather Weight

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Gem Contour

Votes: 9 3.6%

• Total voters
That one was up on eBay a few years back. I bid on it, but lost out in the end. I really didn’t know the history and authenticity of the razor at that time.

The seller used to be active on several shave forums and informed me it was, in fact, a prototype. That was after I lost out on it. He said he used it a few times and that it was a good razor. I believe Gem made a number of these adjustable prototypes and gave them to the executives and workers to try out. Whatever the reason, it never got past the prototype stage.
View attachment 927005

That's pretty cool. I have a MMOC on the way and I've been getting good shaves with my GEM 1912 Jr that past few days. An adjustable would have been pretty cool. The GEM blades are awesome. I wish the Oneblade took them without hassle.

Image 6-17-20 at 9.43 PM.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I just tune in to reinforce my predjudice against BIC CP.

Maybe I’ll finally open my test tuck of GSB and give those a whirl. I have Rapira PL and Voskhod high on my list (100 of each), but never got along with Personna platinum reds.
Its just my opinion and I'm in the ball park and should give Folks a simple reference if thinking about changing blades or blade systems.

Its just my opinion and I'm in the ball park and should give Folks a simple reference if thinking about changing blades or blade systems.
With respect it (the BIC rating) reinforces my belief that subjective blade reviews (unless coming from your twin in blind testing) are pretty worthless. The only objective testing I'm aware of finds the BIC as the sharpest blade extant after a couple shaves and that's consistent with my experience.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ron R

With respect it (the BIC rating) reinforces my belief that subjective blade reviews (unless coming from your twin in blind testing) are pretty worthless. The only objective testing I'm aware of finds the BIC as the sharpest blade extant after a couple shaves and that's consistent with my experience.

Hello Jeff, I had high hope for the Bic CP and it was sharp in my Tech razor. After the first shave it was noticeably sharp and then it went side ways, the blade did not show predictable wear reliability like my other blades so it was placed in the sharp and Smooth category.
Bic keeners always want to know why and it just did not impress me in any real way, Still a good category for a blade to be in IMO.

Hello Jeff, I had high hope for the Bic CP and it was sharp in my Tech razor. After the first shave it was noticeably sharp and then it went side ways, the blade did not show predictable wear reliability like my other blades so it was placed in the sharp and Smooth category.
Bic keeners always want to know why and it just did not impress me in any real way, Still a good category for a blade to be in IMO.
I don't doubt your experience as user experience with BICs is all over the map. Like I said while I appreciate your effort to share I just doubt the relevance of any one user's experience unless that user is yourself.

I don't doubt your experience as user experience with BICs is all over the map. Like I said while I appreciate your effort to share I just doubt the relevance of any one user's experience unless that user is yourself.

I even doubt the relevance of my own experience until I‘ve worked a ways into a 100 blade pack. Doesn’t keep me from cheerfully wading in to blade discussions. I am trying to swear off soap (especially Williams and Arko) as a topic.

I even doubt the relevance of my own experience until I‘ve worked a ways into a 100 blade pack. Doesn’t keep me from cheerfully wading in to blade discussions. I am trying to swear off soap (especially Williams and Arko) as a topic.

Well since you brought up Williams and Arko........ Insert contrary opinion to your own here.... And if you disagree with me then you are just wrong on every level.......:letterk1:

Bump this thread to life for 2021...
I have had received 3 GEM razors with 10 GEM Stainless blades quite recently (2months ago). 2 were kindly Pif-ed (many thanks to members) and 1 was bought here from another member in BST. My experience as of today...I only use the GEMs on Mondays...
The 1st was the Push-Button and the initial 2-3 uses were not so encouraging...not so comfortable and the blade was tuggy & skipping...
2nd was the Junior and this razor gives me the best and most comfortable shave...easily going atg under the nose.
3rd was the Clog-Pruf and this razor was 2nd best...quite comfortable but very difficult to do a wtg pass under the nose.

So far I am only on the 2nd GEM stainless blade (7th use) and today was very smooth and comfortable...amazing! I have been contemplating for a long while (2months...hahaha) whether to get the GEM PTFE Stainless blades from Connaught. They have the cheapest blades but not the cheapest shipping...my main issue is whether to get 30-50 or 100 blades...😀

All I can say for now is I enjoyed shaving with these vintage razors...so unique...

Ron R

MMMonday, Jan4th 2021- Good morning A.S.R affectionados

Razor: Gem Clog Pruf(Peerless model 17 nib S.Bar)- MFG 1945
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (7) Excellent blade, very sharp, smooths out nicely, great longevity & predictable IMO.
Soap: Razorock Lavender :001_wub: - excellent scent and excellent lather qualities, on 2nd tub.
Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24mm- this is my oldest most used at one time synthetic brush(old faithful) soft tips with a good scrub.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe vera gel on the beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock King Louis Lavender with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:excellent shave with my Gem Clog Pruf Peerless model and a coated Gem blade.( does not get a whole lot better)
MMMonday, Jan 4th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Last edited:
Top Bottom