What's new

Gem Razor Models

Pic the Gem you like shaving with. Multiple choices allowed!

• Gem lather catcher

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Gem Junior

Votes: 65 25.9%
  • Gem 1912 Damaskeene

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Gem Mico Matic Clog proof

Votes: 79 31.5%
  • Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle(Flying wing)

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Gem Micro Matic Open Comb

Votes: 99 39.4%
  • Gem Push button

Votes: 36 14.3%
  • Gem G-Bar

Votes: 64 25.5%
  • Gem Feather Weight

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Gem Contour

Votes: 9 3.6%

• Total voters

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Every once in a while I bring a sort of index forward for folks looking for a certain razor & there is a lot of other great information on other pages for the curious.
If you are looking for a Specific GEM model we have covered you will find it on these Post #'s.

GEM G Bar MFG 1955-58 -post #109
Up grade pic 1 (2).jpg
Gem 1912 MFG 1921-30 -post #124

GEM Push button Mfg 1958-65- post # 165
Up grade pic 2 (2).jpg Gem MMOC Mfg 1930-41 -post #147

GEM MMBT Flying wing Mfg 1947-50- post #183
Upgrade pic 3 (2).jpg GEM MMCP Clog Pruf Mfg 1940-46- post #217

GEM Feather weight Mfg 1950-55 - post #250
Upgrade pic 4 (2).jpg GEM Streamline Jewel 2nd Gen Mfg 1949-53- post #390

GEM Junior Bar MFG 1906-11- post #433
Uprade  pic 5 (2).jpgGEM Damaskeene OC Mfg 1912-15 - post #454

Gem Time line - post #526,#543 + Many thanks to @mata_66 for his research on timelines.

GEM Razor Cluster review 2019 (2).jpg

For folks who bought used Gems with out manuals and other interesting information.
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg blade_angle-se-de.gif
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

Ron R

Here it is folks, the final version of the ASR dating chart. It has been big fun to dig into dusty and forgotten libraries in search for clues and info on our beloved razors. But I run out of reliable sources and there's little I can add.
I hope you can find it useful when you encounter your next Gem, Ever-Ready or Star razor.
Cheers!
american-safety-razor-dating-chart-gem-ever-ready-kampfe-star-png.983799

Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Sir, your organization and presentation skills just blow me away -- thank you, this thread is extremely helpful!!!

Ron R

Sir, your organization and presentation skills just blow me away -- thank you, this thread is extremely helpful!!!
Well fellows I'm glad you like it, I wanted to show the individual razors with a Thumbnail but B&B had restrictions on the amount of photo's prior to attempt a few months back so I had to improvise a little and take a picture of two in a Thumbnail. Another site I posted on allows a few more Thumbnails and I like that a little better individual photos. I bought a another Gem to add to the GEM Razor Models list and I only buy if there a good deal because I just need user grade because I'm not a real good collector because were I live up north away from the bigger centers were there are more quality razors to chose from with cases and priced good.
Have some great shaves!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Great source, thanks for all the work :thumbup:. The poll results remind me that I have, maybe foolishly, committed to using a Contour for the week's Micromatic Monday. Didn't realize there were three flavours of Contours, I found just two in my dark corner of GEM's I didn't like ..

Ron R

Well just added one GEM to my collection of excellent razors, this model is called GEM Junior Parade with the short taper plastic handle.
The nice part of this razor it has the 1912 base plate with a slight change to the top cap(Why change 1912 base plate that is as close to perfect as possible must of been GEM mfg thinking at the time.:drool:)
My shave today went flawless with no nicks or weepers and knocked off a CCS,DFS,BBs and the Alum block indicated very reasonable shave with almost no irritation=:001_rolle
I will shave daily for the next 7-10 days until I want to change things up again and give a detailed report of the razor.
Gem Junior Parade  (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

Found this advertisement on a razor box, we have to remember that in 1938 the Great Depression is still on with a deflation rate of -2.08% so prices are still dropping and company's are not making much money and are just in survivor mode and Gem mfg is no different than the thousands of company's world wide. This price for $.39 with 3 blades just blows me away but it was a lot of money to the average American in the Dirty thirties and today 81 yrs later with compound inflation is the equivalent of $7.10.
But at the time it was a lot of money for someone needing a shave for his work place.
This razor is made of solid brass head with a plastic or Bakelite handle. a excellent razor and will gives a great shave. I'm glade I purchased it and the handle is great in my hand.
Gem Parade razor 2 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves

garyg

I enjoy the Fat Handled ones .. the blue handled Treet has a different comb than the GEM Junior "Parade" on the left ..
IMG_9376.JPG

Ron R

I enjoy the Fat Handled ones .. the blue handled Treet has a different comb than the GEM Junior "Parade" on the left .. View attachment 1008231
The Treet reminds me of the Gem Clog pruf head because of the hybrid safety bar, I hope it shaves as well as the GEM Junior because I very happy with results so far with my new addition. The Chrome or Nickel finish seems a little more rare than the all brass head, Very nice to show them and I believe the Treet had different colored handles for the Treet razor.
Have some great shaves!

garyg

The Treet reminds me of the Gem Clog pruf head because of the hybrid safety bar, I hope it shaves as well as the GEM Junior because I very happy with results so far with my new addition. The Chrome or Nickel finish seems a little more rare than the all brass head, Very nice to show them and I believe the Treet had different colored handles for the Treet razor.
Have some great shaves!

Seems to shave similarly, my GEM is virtually mint while the Treet is showing some age. I've seem the blue handled ones several times, and think once I spotted a red one as well.

Found this advertisement on a razor box, we have to remember that in 1938 the Great Depression is still on with a deflation rate of -2.08% so prices are still dropping and company's are not making much money and are just in survivor mode and Gem mfg is no different than the thousands of company's world wide. This price for $.39 with 3 blades just blows me away but it was a lot of money to the average American in the Dirty thirties and today 81 yrs later with compound inflation is the equivalent of $7.10.
But at the time it was a lot of money for someone needing a shave for his work place.
This razor is made of solid brass head with a plastic or Bakelite handle. a excellent razor and will gives a great shave. I'm glade I purchased it and the handle is great in my hand.
View attachment 1008227
Have some great shaves

Glad you are enjoying the new addition, I really like the shave from mine. I also have a Star with the same design. The end caps of the handles are different though. And the Stars is slightly longer.
Here are a few pictures.

20190325_070429~2.jpg
20190418_213750.jpg
20190423_141019.jpg

Last edited:

Ron R

Glad you are enjoying the new addition, I really like the shave from mine. I also have a Star with the same design. The end caps of the handles are different though. And the Stars is slightly longer.
Here are a few pictures.

View attachment 1008336 View attachment 1008338 View attachment 1008339
Yes they sure look similar, sometimes if you lay just the heads on their side you can see little changes to the head or on their backs the angle might change when you have a bird eye view. The Star Bar and the Gem Junior bar Lather catchers might look similar but on their backs & sides there are little differences. Star bar is on the left.
Star bar LC VS GEM Junior bar (2).jpg LC Compare 2 (2).jpg
Have some great shaves!

Yes they sure look similar, sometimes if you lay just the heads on their side you can see little changes to the head or on their backs the angle might change when you have a bird eye view. The Star Bar and the Gem Junior bar Lather catchers might look similar but on their backs & sides there are little differences. Star bar is on the left.
View attachment 1008352 View attachment 1008353
Have some great shaves!

I can definitely see the differences now.

Ron R

I'm really enjoying my Gem Junior Parade (mfg 1938) and I have a Gem 1912 (mfg 1928) and l like to compare the two razors just visually, They both are stamped at the base 1912 were the handle screws in. Both heads look similar but there are slight improvements maybe to the Gem junior because it shaves smoother to me and handles a bit easier & nimbler because of its lighter handle & handle is easy to hold because of width and taper.
Comparing Gem Junior Parade (mfg 1938) To Gem 1912 (mfg 1928) (2).jpg Comparing Gem Junior Parade (mfg 1938) To Gem 1912 (mfg 1928) (3).jpg As you can see the caps are very similar but the base plate is a little different, the safety bar on the Gem Junior is smaller and has less overhang and the base plate is not as deep as my Gem 1912, also the centre of handle is less forward on the Gem junior.
Comparing the Gem Junior Parade (mfg 1938) VS Gem 1912 (mfg 1928) (2).jpg Comparing the Gem Junior Parade (mfg 1938) VS Gem 1912 (mfg 1928) (3).jpg The safety bar on the Gem junior looks a little more rounded on the safety bar edges and more material around the blade stops with bigger drain ports. They are punched from different dies when Mfg and the base plates are slightly different and the GEM junior parade winning my fancy by a notch for smoothness but end results are very similar shaves CCS,DFS,BBS range.
Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom