What's new

Gem Razor Models

Pic the Gem you like shaving with. Multiple choices allowed!

• Gem lather catcher

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Gem Junior

Votes: 65 25.9%
  • Gem 1912 Damaskeene

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Gem Mico Matic Clog proof

Votes: 79 31.5%
  • Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle(Flying wing)

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Gem Micro Matic Open Comb

Votes: 99 39.4%
  • Gem Push button

Votes: 36 14.3%
  • Gem G-Bar

Votes: 64 25.5%
  • Gem Feather Weight

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Gem Contour

Votes: 9 3.6%

• Total voters
I bid on that razor when it came up on eBay a few years back. I really wanted that one. Hoosier Trooper did a great write up on it too.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

mata_66
Up!

1963 Gem Adjustable
gem_adjustable-png.982623

I thought about that adjustable and mentioned it earlier on thread #34 on this Link. They could of made a easy simpler adjustable by making base plate series and going to a 3 pc razor like Like Rockwell or Krave razors and having a new generation-3 blade and that would of been some what successful IMO. Management did not want to go that marketing path because they had the engineering brain power from what I have seen of different models.(They must of seen the plastic evolution of razors crushing their position in razor MFG possibly.) Now in 2019 Edgewell Personal Care takes control of Harry's disposable razor empire for 1.4 billion dollars.(part of the old ASR Dynasty of company's-Personna) That should make Gillette & others take notice of razor competition encroaching their market share with Edgewell who are stronger now with a huge line of products other than razors.

Have some great shaves!

Some interesting finds today (warning: Damaskeene inside!)
1) Gem officially declared in 1914 that the new "modern" Damaskeene spined blades work perfectly with all their previous models since 1898, actually the blades made them better. Nice graphics depicting the evolution of Gem Razors in 4 steps:
1914_Gem_03-29.jpg 1914_Gem_04-12.jpg

2) The Damaskeene open comb, at least until 1914, is actually a Gem Jr. Damaskeene Razor!
1912_Gem-Damaskeene-Jr._11-17.jpg 1912_Gem-Damaskeene-Jr_12-15.jpg

In 1914 it becomes officially the Damaskeene razor, offered as the "One Dollar Outfit" in a beautiful Morocco case with 7 Damaskeene blades
1914-Gem_Damaskeene_04-26.jpg

I thought I had enough new infos added to chart "beta 1.3", actually I was about to name it V.2 and called it done.
No way, the more I dig the more nuggets come to light :07:

Last edited:

Ron R

Some interesting finds today (warning: Damaskeene inside!)
1) Gem officially declared in 1914 that the new "modern" Damaskeene spined blades work perfectly with all their previous models since 1898, actually the blades made them better. Nice graphics depicting the evolution of Gem Razors in 4 steps:
View attachment 983303 View attachment 983304

2) The Damaskeene open comb, at least until 1914, is actually a Gem Jr. Damaskeene Razor!
View attachment 983309 View attachment 983308

In 1914 it becomes officially the Damaskeene razor, offered as the "One Dollar Outfit" in a beautiful Morocco case with 7 Damaskeene blades
View attachment 983311

I thought I had enough new infos added to chart "beta 1.3", actually I was about to name it V.2 and called it done.
Great advertisements, I think the ads are better then what we see in the newspapers today about products. Lots of effort finding these ads and very enjoyable to read!

Some interesting find today (warning: Damaskeene inside!)

View attachment 983311

No way, the more I dig the more nuggets come
Some interesting find today (warning: Damaskeene inside!)

View attachment 983311

Keep the updates coming, I too love the vintage ads

Here it is folks, the final version of the ASR dating chart. It has been big fun to dig into dusty and forgotten libraries in search for clues and info on our beloved razors. But I run out of reliable sources and there's little I can add.
I hope you can find it useful when you encounter your next Gem, Ever-Ready or Star razor.
Cheers!
american-safety-razor-dating-chart-gem-ever-ready-kampfe-star.png

Ron R

Here it is folks, the final version of the ASR dating chart. It has been big fun to dig into dusty and forgotten libraries in search for clues and info on our beloved razors. But I run out of reliable sources and there's little I can add.
I hope you can find it useful when you encounter your next Gem, Ever-Ready or Star razor.
Cheers!View attachment 983799
Thanks for the effort, what a great reference and will be used by many over the future years of razor enthusiasts.

Amazing. Just amazing. This is AWESOME. Thank you for all your effort on this.

Wow, and thank you so much for such a useful and important document for dating our razors. :a50:

Cool, it gives the information a new perspective. I wasn't aware that the Push Button and Feather Weight were cross branded. I now want to see them in the same line up. Great job.

Ron R

I have to agree with @mata_66 according to a rough photo of it through Safety razor Compendium by Robert waits. I think I seen one on the forums someone else owned one and it's one of the first Gem razors models made(rare find) the blades on that model are a little different if I recall. 1898> model is very rare and that good of shape.
A Safety Razor Compendium: The Book
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Hello @McKinneys that's a beautiful 1905 Zinn Automatic. It used those proprietary Zinn-Gem wafer thin blades. I haven't noticed them in your pics.

An Ad for the blades:
1905_Zinn-Automatic#4.jpg

The razor is a NO. 1 Set
1905_Zinn-Automatic#5.jpg

Attachments

• 1905_Zinn-Automatic#4.jpg
    1905_Zinn-Automatic#4.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 14
Thank you very much @mata_66 and @Ron R for your great contributions. I really love the elegant handle of the Zinn! What a beautiful shape! The head with its clamping mechanism really looks great too.

Top Bottom