What's new

Gem Razor Models

Pic the Gem you like shaving with. Multiple choices allowed!

• Gem lather catcher

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Gem Junior

Votes: 65 25.9%
  • Gem 1912 Damaskeene

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Gem Mico Matic Clog proof

Votes: 79 31.5%
  • Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle(Flying wing)

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Gem Micro Matic Open Comb

Votes: 99 39.4%
  • Gem Push button

Votes: 36 14.3%
  • Gem G-Bar

Votes: 64 25.5%
  • Gem Feather Weight

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Gem Contour

Votes: 9 3.6%

• Total voters

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
No i believe it to be after 1936. They were offering this set at discount in 1938. I don't believe gold razors were issued with bumps until later than 1932 (my 32 gold sets are bumpless)

Greetings from Asbury Park 1938
proxy.php
Case matches very close to what you have so you would be more accurate in the date from what I'm seeing.
Good research @jmudrick. I also have a bumpless in gold wash and brass, shaves excellent.

I am not sure if this is the correct thread, but it was high on my "New Post" list. I have decided that April is the month that I spend some time getting acquainted with my only SE razor a, I believe, GEM 1912. So far it has been quite the learning process with a few nicks and weepers. I do like it though and fully recognize that there is a lot of potential here. I mostly wanted to post to confirm that it is, in fact a GEM 1912 (Sorry for the quality of the photo...I have a few talents but photography is for sure not one of them.) I am pretty sure that I am not going to be a full SE convert, however, I do think that it is an awesome choice for additional variety. I have 6 shaves on the first blade and, depending on the actual model of the razor, an easy choice for the poll.
All four cropped (2).jpg

Thank you for listening to my rambling.

I am not sure if this is the correct thread, but it was high on my "New Post" list. I have decided that April is the month that I spend some time getting acquainted with my only SE razor a, I believe, GEM 1912. So far it has been quite the learning process with a few nicks and weepers. I do like it though and fully recognize that there is a lot of potential here. I mostly wanted to post to confirm that it is, in fact a GEM 1912 (Sorry for the quality of the photo...I have a few talents but photography is for sure not one of them.) I am pretty sure that I am not going to be a full SE convert, however, I do think that it is an awesome choice for additional variety. I have 6 shaves on the first blade and, depending on the actual model of the razor, an easy choice for the poll.
View attachment 971220
Nice razor.

Ron R

View attachment 971220
Very nice 1912 (Damaskeene design) Gem razor, that razor was MFG for may years because men enjoyed them and at the time was one of the best razor technology wise there was and was competing with Gillette and ....... razor MFG's.

Ron R

Damaskkene  Haul 2 (2).jpg
Gem 1912>1915 Damaskeene Open comb (Dammy OC)
First shave with this Oldie Goldie and I would say I lucked out finding this one on Ebay among a needle in a hay stack.
The shave was very irritation free(Alum block test) and took off a days growth with no issues and was very enjoyable to shave with this over 100 yr old razor that IMO was combination of previous razors design strengths with the new modern touch of the future that was coming. (the GEM deluxe 1911-1912 was before the 1912 Damaskeene but very rare to find & look similar.)
First impressions after a preshave shower and following with preshave Aloe vera gel is indicating a mid-range on the milder side with excellent efficiency & also with a brand new GEM Personna SS PTFE blade(1) and it performed great and also a bonus of indicating a very nice daily shaver but it's to early for a 1 day shave of testing results CCS,DFS,BBS with a 1st pass WTG and 2nd ATG with a clean up pass.(Standard unless very mild razor for myself)
The handle is light & hollowed to allow the stropping attachment to seat inside with no issues and is very comfortable in my hands, I prefer the stropping attachment in the handle for comfort reasons and it also protects the bottom of the handle somewhat, that arrangement could change later.
Will have to use it for at least 8 days> of daily use to see how it works for myself.
!st shave with Dammy (2).jpg

Old damasakeene ad (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg

Last edited:

Ron R

New updated table. It now includes Kampfe Bros/Star/Treet infos.
I corrected some dates, added more models and variations. Please keep in mind this is not the gospel, infos on vintage SE razors are quite scarce and dating is more of a "detective" work that may easily lead to false clues and wrong data.

Beta V1.1, there will probably be a V1.2 in the future :crazy:
View attachment 970304

The image is LARGE. Please click on the thumbnail and then right-click on the image and choose "open image in a new tab" or save it on your computer for future offline visualization.
I like this view @mata_66 and once again great job.
Mata_66.png

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

GEM Damaskeene Open Comb 1912-1915 (Dammy OC) Damaskeene OC (2).jpg
Weight:
46 grams (1.6 oz)
Blade Gap: .017 thousands of a inch(.44 mm)
Blade exposure: Positive
Blade: GEM Personna SS PTFE (8)
Material: Base metal Brass, Nickel coating? or Chrome coating? Hard to find information on the coating for this razor model.
Handling: Very nice razor in the hand for feel with this narrower handle, installing blades & removing was done easily.
Shave # 2 went well with just wet the face and also with a warm wet face cloth applied for 40 seconds X 2. The shave went flawless and ended with a great final result CCS,DFS,BBS & Alum block indicated nothing.
Shave #4 and the razor & blade are performing well, I had to use a small diamond hone to knock down some small burrs from years of placing the razor on it's side from previous owners handling a little roughly when their shave were completed.
This over looked razor is user grade quality & very happy with the results it can reward a person with a reasonable technique. Because the razor is in good shape I did the GEM slide technique with buffing short strokes and results were excellent, and alum block confirmed good results.
Shave #5 , I showered & preshaved with Aloe Vera Gel. Soap I used Razorock Lavender and my beard type medium type with skin not that sensitive & knocked off a CCS,DFS,BBS, Alum block indicated no problems, Just a smooth irritation free shave.
Shave #8 and razor with Gem coated blade still giving excellent results. CCS,DFS,BBS.
Conclusion: The Gem Damaskeene open comb is a excellent razor that will deliver quality shaves. My results indicated a milder mid range side & highly efficient with a reasonable forgiving characteristic that most folks like in a razor.
Also the GEM Damaskeene OC is a excellent daily driver after 8 consecutive days of daily use with results usually CCS,DFS,BBS and that is my sweet spot for my desired shave with my medium beard type growth and not so sensitive skin.
Gem Damaskeene open comb review (2).jpg

Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg A lot of GEM razors are bought second hand & do not have information on Technique so I provided some.
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
GEM Damaskeene Open Comb 1912-1915 (Dammy OC) View attachment 974130
Weight:
46 grams (1.6 oz)
Blade Gap: .017 thousands of a inch(.44 mm)
Blade exposure: Positive
Blade: GEM Personna SS PTFE (8)
Material: Base metal Brass, Nickel coating? or Chrome coating? Hard to find information on the coating for this razor model.
Handling: Very nice razor in the hand for feel with this narrower handle, installing blades & removing was done easily.
Shave # 2 went well with just wet the face and also with a warm wet face cloth applied for 40 seconds X 2. The shave went flawless and ended with a great final result CCS,DFS,BBS & Alum block indicated nothing.
Shave #4 and the razor & blade are performing well, I had to use a small diamond hone to knock down some small burrs from years of placing the razor on it's side from previous owners handling a little roughly when their shave were completed.
This over looked razor is user grade quality & very happy with the results it can reward a person with a reasonable technique. Because the razor is in good shape I did the GEM slide technique with buffing short strokes and results were excellent, and alum block confirmed good results.
Shave #5 , I showered & preshaved with Aloe Vera Gel. Soap I used Razorock Lavender and my beard type medium type with skin not that sensitive & knocked off a CCS,DFS,BBS, Alum block indicated no problems, Just a smooth irritation free shave.
Shave #8 and razor with Gem coated blade still giving excellent results. CCS,DFS,BBS.
Conclusion: The Gem Damaskeene open comb is a excellent razor that will deliver quality shaves. My results indicated a milder mid range side & highly efficient with a reasonable forgiving characteristic that most folks like in a razor.
Also the GEM Damaskeene OC is a excellent daily driver after 8 consecutive days of daily use with results usually CCS,DFS,BBS and that is my sweet spot for my desired shave with my medium beard type growth and not so sensitive skin.
View attachment 974129
View attachment 974126 View attachment 974127 View attachment 974128 A lot of GEM razors bought second hand & do not have information on Technique so I provided some.
Have some great shaves!
Excellent post @Ron R :a14:

Love my Contour. An easy and smooth shaver day in and day out. Unfortunately, it’s the black sheep of the GEM family of razors. Makes no difference as I enjoy it as much as my Clog-Pruf...

3078EDA1-090C-4436-BF29-6B924D539BAF.jpeg

Ron R

Love my Contour. An easy and smooth shaver day in and day out. Unfortunately, it’s the black sheep of the GEM family of razors. Makes no difference as I enjoy it as much as my Clog-Pruf...

View attachment 975022
Hello @GlazedBoker, Gem made two versions of the GEM Contour and you have version #1 as you already know because it's the Push button and version 2 with the spring loaded closing cap(others might want to know the difference!). Have to agree with your opinion that it was not a sought after razor and it could be folks already had the 1958 model and did not feel the need for the newer version!
I have a 1958-60 push button Gem model and I really enjoy using it and it looks great and shaves great. It makes me think that lots of folks who had a similar GEM razor found it worked the same as there older models and why buy the newer contour models and then we see the start of a avalanche of cartridge razors were making inroads into the old brand name DE & SE razors is what closed a chapter on the GEM razor Brand but not the GEM blade because millions of razors still needed blades that were previously sold.

Ron R

If you are looking for a Specific GEM model we have covered you will find it on these Thread #'s.
GEM G Bar -thread #109
Gem 1912 -thread #124
Gem MMOC -thread #147
GEM Push button 1959- thread # 165
GEM MMBT Flying wing- thread #183
GEM MMCP Clog Pruf- thread #217
GEM Feather weight - thread #250
GEM Streamline Jewel- thread #390
GEM Damaskeene OC- thread #454

GEM Time Line- thread #450 Many thanks to @mata_66 for his research on timelines.

GEM Razor Cluster review 2019 (2).jpg

For folks who have purchased a razor with out a manual or not sure about technique this should help.
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg
Have some great GEM shaves!

Top Bottom