What's new

Gem Razor Models

Pic the Gem you like shaving with. Multiple choices allowed!

• Gem lather catcher

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • Gem Junior

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Gem 1912 Damaskeene

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • Gem Mico Matic Clog proof

Votes: 46 32.4%
  • Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle(Flying wing)

Votes: 32 22.5%
  • Gem Micro Matic Open Comb

Votes: 59 41.5%
  • Gem Push button

Votes: 20 14.1%
  • Gem G-Bar

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • Gem Feather Weight

Votes: 19 13.4%
  • Gem Contour

Votes: 6 4.2%

• Total voters
Found this advertisement on a razor box, we have to remember that in 1938 the Great Depression is still on with a deflation rate of -2.08% so prices are still dropping...
The Clog-Pruf I have on the BST came originally with five blades in a box for 50 cents. Probably about the same vintage.

O.H.

GEM Junior Parade 1912 MFG 1938 Gem JR Parade Mfg 1938 (2).jpg

Weight: 1.5 oz (44 grams)
Blade Gap : .021 thousands of a inch (.533 mm)
Blade Exposure: Positive
Blade : GEM Personna SS PTFE (5)
Material : Brass, Plastic handle (handles can come with brass, brass nickel coated or a smaller version of Bakelite.)
Handling : Very nice in the hand with the the Tapered Parade handle. Installing blades and removing are very easy. No blade overhang is a great feature.
Shave #2 went well, no nick or weepers, Alum block indicated not much irritation and the final results were CCS,DFS,BBS
Shave #3 I have a lot of confidence with this razor & soap so I put the razor into some GEM slides, J hooking and Buffing with excellent results. No weepers,nicks also no irritation according to the post shave with the Alum block. End result CCS,DFS,BBS on a blade with 8 uses.
Shave #6 went well and I installed a new blade and it was a little rougher than normal because they are one of the sharpest blades made and it takes a shave or 2 to get very comfortable, 1 weeper from a blemish bump. End result as a CCS,DFS,BbS, Alum block indicated some irritation but a reasonable shave.
Shave #7 went great & did some J hooking in a troubled spot. Used some Tabac soap for my final shave of the week of 7 consecutive daily shaves with GEM Junior.(Experience Test Complete)
Conclusion : GEM Junior parade is just a great razor to own or at least the Gem Junior that comes in different handles if this one does not fancy your hand feel or appearance.
This razor performed J hooking , buffing and the GEM slide maneuvers flawlessly because there are times you might have to use it on those tough whiskers.
The GEM Junior can be easlily used as a daily driver for a Person with a Medium beard growth and not so sensitive skin like myself.
As for the handle I found it great in my hand and also makes its own stand for convenience.
If you are looking for a mid range aggressive and highly efficient razor I would recommend this one and enjoy some great shaves like I did.
Review of Gem Junior Parade (2).jpg

For folks who bought used razors with no user manuals & some other great information on shaving- how Gem grinds their blades!
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg GEM blade grind angles.jpg blade_angle-se-de.gif

Have some great shaves!

Every once in a while I bring a sort of index forward for folks looking for a certain razor & there is a lot of other great information on other pages for the curious.
If you are looking for a Specific GEM model we have covered you will find it on these Post #'s.

GEM G Bar MFG 1955-58 -post #109

Gem 1912 MFG 1921-30 -post #124

GEM Push button Mfg 1958-65- post # 165
Gem MMOC Mfg 1930-41 -post #147

GEM MMBT Flying wing Mfg 1947-50- post #183
GEM MMCP Clog Pruf Mfg 1940-46- post #217

GEM Feather weight Mfg 1950-55 - post #250
GEM Streamline Jewel 2nd Gen Mfg 1949-53- post #390

GEM Junior Bar MFG 1906-11- post #433
GEM Damaskeene OC Mfg 1912-15 - post #454

Gem Junior Parade 1912 MFg 1938- post # 562
Gem JR Parade Mfg 1938 (2).jpg

Gem Time line - post #526,#543 + Many thanks to @mata_66 for his research on timelines.

For folks who bought used Gems with out manuals and other interesting information.
GEM blade grind angles.jpg
Have some great shaves!