• Hey Guest. We are currently doing lots and lots of work on the forum software. Please be patient while the kinks are worked out.

Thanks!

Gem Razor Models

Pic the Gem you like shaving with. Multiple choices allowed!

• Gem lather catcher

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • Gem Junior

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • Gem 1912 Damaskeene

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • Gem Mico Matic Clog proof

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle(Flying wing)

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Gem Micro Matic Open Comb

Votes: 57 42.5%
  • Gem Push button

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • Gem G-Bar

Votes: 33 24.6%
  • Gem Feather Weight

Votes: 18 13.4%
  • Gem Contour

Votes: 6 4.5%

• Total voters
Found this advertisement on a razor box, we have to remember that in 1938 the Great Depression is still on with a deflation rate of -2.08% so prices are still dropping...
The Clog-Pruf I have on the BST came originally with five blades in a box for 50 cents. Probably about the same vintage.

O.H.

Ron R

Contributor
GEM Junior Parade 1912 MFG 1938 Gem JR Parade Mfg 1938 (2).jpg

Weight: 1.5 oz (44 grams)
Blade Gap : .021 thousands of a inch (.533 mm)
Blade Exposure: Positive
Blade : GEM Personna SS PTFE (5)
Material : Brass, Plastic handle (handles can come with brass, brass nickel coated or a smaller version of Bakelite.)
Handling : Very nice in the hand with the the Tapered Parade handle. Installing blades and removing are very easy. No blade overhang is a great feature.
Shave #2 went well, no nick or weepers, Alum block indicated not much irritation and the final results were CCS,DFS,BBS
Shave #3 I have a lot of confidence with this razor & soap so I put the razor into some GEM slides, J hooking and Buffing with excellent results. No weepers,nicks also no irritation according to the post shave with the Alum block. End result CCS,DFS,BBS on a blade with 8 uses.
Shave #6 went well and I installed a new blade and it was a little rougher than normal because they are one of the sharpest blades made and it takes a shave or 2 to get very comfortable, 1 weeper from a blemish bump. End result as a CCS,DFS,BbS, Alum block indicated some irritation but a reasonable shave.
Shave #7 went great & did some J hooking in a troubled spot. Used some Tabac soap for my final shave of the week of 7 consecutive daily shaves with GEM Junior.(Experience Test Complete)
Conclusion : GEM Junior parade is just a great razor to own or at least the Gem Junior that comes in different handles if this one does not fancy your hand feel or appearance.
This razor performed J hooking , buffing and the GEM slide maneuvers flawlessly because there are times you might have to use it on those tough whiskers.
The GEM Junior can be easlily used as a daily driver for a Person with a Medium beard growth and not so sensitive skin like myself.
As for the handle I found it great in my hand and also makes its own stand for convenience.
If you are looking for a mid range aggressive and highly efficient razor I would recommend this one and enjoy some great shaves like I did.
Review of Gem Junior Parade (2).jpg

For folks who bought used razors with no user manuals & some other great information on shaving- how Gem grinds their blades!
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg GEM blade grind angles.jpg blade_angle-se-de.gif

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

Contributor
Every once in a while I bring a sort of index forward for folks looking for a certain razor & there is a lot of other great information on other pages for the curious.
If you are looking for a Specific GEM model we have covered you will find it on these Post #'s.

GEM G Bar MFG 1955-58 -post #109

Gem 1912 MFG 1921-30 -post #124

GEM Push button Mfg 1958-65- post # 165
Gem MMOC Mfg 1930-41 -post #147

GEM MMBT Flying wing Mfg 1947-50- post #183
GEM MMCP Clog Pruf Mfg 1940-46- post #217

GEM Feather weight Mfg 1950-55 - post #250
GEM Streamline Jewel 2nd Gen Mfg 1949-53- post #390

GEM Junior Bar MFG 1906-11- post #433
GEM Damaskeene OC Mfg 1912-15 - post #454

Gem Junior Parade 1912 MFg 1938- post # 562
Gem JR Parade Mfg 1938 (2).jpg

Gem Time line - post #526,#543 + Many thanks to @mata_66 for his research on timelines.

For folks who bought used Gems with out manuals and other interesting information.
GEM blade grind angles.jpg
Have some great shaves!