What's new

Gem Razor Models

Pic the Gem you like shaving with. Multiple choices allowed!

• Gem lather catcher

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Gem Junior

Votes: 65 25.9%
  • Gem 1912 Damaskeene

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Gem Mico Matic Clog proof

Votes: 79 31.5%
  • Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle(Flying wing)

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Gem Micro Matic Open Comb

Votes: 99 39.4%
  • Gem Push button

Votes: 36 14.3%
  • Gem G-Bar

Votes: 64 25.5%
  • Gem Feather Weight

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Gem Contour

Votes: 9 3.6%

• Total voters

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Hello Fred, You were mentioning you had a Gem feather weight also. Try that razor when you are feeling a little better on the beard skin. The GEM feather weight is all operator feel because of little weight and you can not let the weight of the razor just do the cutting you have to regulate the pressure on the blade to help in tune with the blade feel and this razor is somewhat forgiving if not pushing to much(a extra oz of pressure to blade approx because most razors weight are 2.2> oz avg- Gem FW weighs only 1 oz)and I'm really enjoying the razor. I must have the GEM technique dialed in because I hardly get any irritation. The G-bar is Ok but you have to add a extra pass to get a CCS>Bbs shave IMO and that might be were some issues can happen for some.
I do have a FW that I haven't tried yet. The next razor in my new razor rotation is a 1900's Kampfe Bros Lather Catcher, but the Gem FW will be next after that....really looking forward to it. I definitely need a razor that I can use to break in those GEM SS PTFE blades.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
You think the G Bar is less efficient than the Feather Weight? I have not spent much time with it. I presumed heads were the same.
Hello @jmudrick, 3 shaves in and the featherweight is a better razor IMO for efficiency and just care free enjoyment with good results with WTG,ATG with clean up pass= CCS>BBs.

Last edited:
Hello @jmudrick, 3 shaves in and the featherweight is a better razor IMO for efficiency and just care free enjoyment with good results with WTG,ATG with clean up pass= CCS>BBs.
Ron, you are a Gem superhero! I really do appreciate your thoughts about the different Gem razors you've used.

My wallet doesn't thank you, though, since I just picked up a Gem FW from Etsy.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

The heads on the G bar and featherweight are quite different. I was surprised how much I like the featherweight, but given the choice it’s the G bar every time.

I've seen the featherweight with two different flip tops. Whichever top you like best, swap them out, it's not difficult! Or find both.

Ron R

Ron, you are a Gem superhero! I really do appreciate your thoughts about the different Gem razors you've used.

My wallet doesn't thank you, though, since I just picked up a Gem FW from Etsy.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the nice words, I think at this moment in time I'M a GEM enthusiast hobbyist just having some great shaves and sharing some information like others here have already. There are lots of bargains out there for folks who like to collect vintage Gems thanks to the internet. I'm glad you are enjoying your GEM razors and when you get a different model share your experiences with us.:a17:
Another great site Micromatic Monday

That's a great photo!!! I had been having some good shaves with my G-Bar, and then I put a brand new Gem SS PTFE blade in yesterday and it turned into a blood bath. I ALWAYS forget how harsh/rough that first shave with a new blade is, and after 10 or so shaves with a blade, I either let my technique slide or maybe it adjusts to the duller blade and then gets a surprise with a sharp one.
I had a very similar experience with the MMOC this morning. Those blades are SHARP right out of the box!

All this talk of Gems has inspired me to load up my Gem Junior, November 1901 patent, with a fresh blade for my shave tomorrow morning.

Ron R

GEM 1950’s Featherweight SE Razor Gem Feather weight (2).jpg

Weight:
1 oz (30 grams) lightest of the GEM line I’m testing!

Blade gap: .023 thousands of a inch (.58 mm)

Blade exposure: positive

Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE blade (5)

Material: plastic and Special alloyed brass?

Handling: Very nimble and easy to shave with this light razor, this GEM Feather weight is all operator driven enjoyment.

A person has to apply some pressure because of weight lacking making sure technique is dialed in and just let the razor talk to you as it snipes beard whiskers with smoothness galore for razor gliding & feeling non threatening.

The blade is secured between top cap and base plate by a adequate spring pressure + blade has very good support by base plate bridging to safety bar that reduces chatter.

The razor looks cheap but like the old saying goes “never judge a razor by its looks!”

You might be pleasantly surprised by end results that this GEM Feather weight delivers for it’s weight design.

I’m really enjoying this smooth little whisker slicing chopper disintegrater razor as I can easily treat my self to great shaves.

Regular shaves , J hooking & buffing + GEM slide maneuvers can be handled with great ease and shaves are CCS,DFS.BBs range.

This razor is a pleasant daily driver shaver for my medium type beard and delivers good end results consistently
and verified by the Alum block and cotton ball testing.(This razor was designed to compete against Schick E & G model series and other light variants and to keep GEM owners content IMO.)
Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg

Some procedure manuals and Blade review IMO!
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg

Last edited:
Should be getting these by Friday! The Bullet Tip I am familiar with and use a lot (but it's my son's so I finally got my own). Definitely looking forward to trying the OC and the CP!
s-l400.jpg

Flintstone65

GEM 1950’s Featherweight SE Razor View attachment 945815

Weight: 1 oz (30 grams) lightest of the GEM line I’m testing!

Blade gap: .023 thousands of a inch (.58 mm)

Blade exposure:
positive

Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE blade (5)

Material: plastic and Special alloyed brass?

Handling: Very nimble and easy to shave with this light razor, this GEM Feather weight is all operator driven enjoyment.

A person has to apply some pressure because of weight lacking making sure technique is dialed in and just let the razor talk to you as it snipes beard whiskers with smoothness galore for razor gliding & feeling non threatening.

The blade is secured between top cap and base plate by a adequate spring pressure + blade has very good support by base plate bridging to safety bar that reduces chatter.

The razor looks cheap but like the old saying goes “never judge a razor by its looks!”

You might be pleasantly surprised by end results that this GEM Feather weight delivers for it’s weight design.

I’m really enjoying this smooth little whisker slicing chopper disintegrater razor as I can easily treat my self to great shaves.

Regular shaves , J hooking & buffing + GEM slide maneuvers can be handled with great ease and shaves are DFS>CCS>BBs .

This razor is a pleasant daily driver shaver for my medium type beard and delivers good end results consistently
and verified by the Alum block and cotton ball testing.(This razor was designed to compete against Schick E & G model series and other light variants and to keep GEM owners content IMO.)View attachment 945816
Some procedure manuals and Blade review IMO!
View attachment 945817 View attachment 945820 View attachment 945819
Outstanding review and very helpful -- now I am really excited to try my Featherweight!!! You're right about the "never judge a razor by its looks"....gotta admit that I really wasn't expecting much from this razor based on it's looks, now I'm looking forward to that shave!!!

Ron R

Outstanding review and very helpful -- now I am really excited to try my Featherweight!!! You're right about the "never judge a razor by its looks"....gotta admit that I really wasn't expecting much from this razor based on it's looks, now I'm looking forward to that shave!!!
Good to hear from ya, the feather weight is a very good razor. I'M using it at the moment here in Mexico for my holidays. Lots of humidty here so I'm thinking little pre-shave prep not needed as much. Weather just right for a grumpy old frozen Canuk to thaw out.

Flintstone65

Good to hear from ya, the feather weight is a very good razor. I'M using it at the moment here in Mexico for my holidays. Lots of humidty here so I'm thinking little pre-shave prep not needed as much. Weather just right for a grumpy old frozen Canuk to thaw out.
Enjoy the shaves, the weather, the food and the drink -- not necessarily in that order!!! I'm quite jealous, but also very happy for you!!!

Ron R

Adding to the conversation about the base plate bumps that were added to the micromatics and other later models , they do raise the angle of the blade a little more than I thought it would.
The older blades did have a thicker spline but not this much clearance underneath, I have a older blade and of coarse the better newer Personna SS Ptfe blades.
I have two MMOC razors and one has the bumps and the other with out bumps. I think the A.S.R company engineers wanted a more lifting angle for spline imperfections and possibly a better and smoother less aggressive shave is the reasoning IMO.
comparing two MMOC (2).jpg
with bumps.jpg
razor bumps 2.jpg

As you can see the bumps lift the GEM Personna SS PTFE a lot more.(both pictures are using a GEM Personna SS PTFE blade)
It should make a little difference in angle of approach to technique while shaving if using a bump-less razor IMO.

Have some great GEM shaves!

Flintstone65

Great pics -- and it makes intuitive sense to me. Originally I had heard that the bumps were put in for their double-sided blade offering....but having both and having used both....I'm not sure I understand why the bumps would be there for the double-blade offering. It makes more sense that they wanted the angle to be steeper, which should lower blade gap, and thus lower the efficiency. Does that sound right?

Great pics -- and it makes intuitive sense to me. Originally I had heard that the bumps were put in for their double-sided blade offering....but having both and having used both....I'm not sure I understand why the bumps would be there for the double-blade offering. It makes more sense that they wanted the angle to be steeper, which should lower blade gap, and thus lower the efficiency. Does that sound right?

Without the bumps to raise the back of the DE GEM blade, the blade would sit flat on the bottom of the blade bed. That changes the presentation of the blade edge to the face. Those original GEM spines were much thicker than what we get today. I have a post on it somewhere around here, showing views of various vintage GEM/Ever Ready, and modern GEM blade spines.

Flintstone65

Without the bumps to raise the back of the DE GEM blade, the blade would sit flat on the bottom of the blade bed. That changes the presentation of the blade edge to the face. Those original GEM spines were much thicker than what we get today. I have a post on it somewhere around here, showing views of various vintage GEM/Ever Ready, and modern GEM blade spines.
Ohhhhhh....that makes sense! Thanks!!!

Ron R

The spline served a couple of purposes, it was to make the blade more rigid and also the previous models had a spring bump up against the spline to push the blade forward into the blade keepers. The double edge blade would be damaged by this spring so they ended up making just making splined single edged razor blades that worked in any model and was a lot less confusing to customers is my best guess.

Top Bottom