What's new

GEM Push Button

C1090AEF-DA9A-4F13-920C-F7CEAC1E9842.jpeg
A578A6A8-DF09-4AC1-BB24-1D47245C80EE.jpeg
24B9084C-5D4F-4353-B082-977E1FAE1D36.jpeg
Perhaps you can help me. These appear in the late ‘50’s, I think, but I have nothing definitive. This one is unused in appearance...just some shallow scratches from coming in contact with other objects. Not bad for $5.99.

Someone else can chime in as to exactly when the Contour appears. What's clear is that there was a Christmas 61 ad blitz for the Push Button, but by 1963 ASR national razor advertising was focused on its PAL and Personna injector products. .
Thank you. Any idea how long of a run this model had?

The Gem Contour Push Button was made from 1958 to circa 1970.

I like it very much, but it's way too mild for me. It's even milder than a Gillette Tech. At least with a Tech one can add a shim or two to pump up the aggression. I don't know how to increase the aggression of the SE Gem Contour Push Button, except maybe to do a very leisurely and thorough prep, and then do a 4 or 5 pass shave.

I like it very much, but it's way too mild for me. It's even milder than a Gillette Tech. At least with a Tech one can add a shim or two to pump up the aggression. I don't know how to increase the aggression of the SE Gem Contour Push Button, except maybe to do a very leisurely and thorough prep, and then do a 4 or 5 pass shave.

I guess that’s a good long run in razor production for a GEM. I’ll report how it goes tomorrow morning.

Would you say the black and gold shown in the Christmas ad was the first generation?

There were three different models, Push-Button (above) , Contour, and Contour II. Contour II is a flipper.

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
It’s still surprising to find these as unused. I have the 1912, gold Micromatic, the HFB, and now the early push button. None of them appear to have been used.

I find the first generation PBs to be very smooth and efficient; the Contours not so much. The handle ergonomics are different with the Contours.

Anyone had the push button feature wear out?

I have several, and so far the buttons still work on all of them. One thing I have noticed, and it may just be a problem with the one example that I own, but the gold ones seem to be more efficient than my nickel-plated PB.

Top Bottom