What's new

GEM PTFE Coated Blades, Which Ones?

Alright, need a little help here. Everyone talks about GEM "PTFE" coated blades being the ones to use for GEM style razors. Personna and Ted Pella seem to be the two brands that come up over and over again. What does the packaging look like for these recommended blades? The only thing I can find that shows the packaging is the below Amazon link, but the package says uncoated. What am I supposed to be looking for and what is the best place to order them in the US?

Ted Pella isn't a manufacturer. The blades they sell are the the Personnas. PTFE-coated blades come in a box like that, but they say "coated" instead. I think Bullgoose and Connaught still sell them.

Thanks. I assumed the ones I linked were not correct but that looks like that packaging I've seen posted before, which is why I was confused.

Ted Pella isn't a manufacturer. The blades they sell are the the Personnas. PTFE-coated blades come in a box like that, but they say "coated" instead. I think Bullgoose and Connaught still sell them.

Thanks Shane, I was specifically looking for the ones you include with the Sabre. If that's what you're using that's what I'll go with.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I buy my Gem Personna SS PTFE blades from a Connaught shaving UK, you pay what the green price(NVAT) and it takes about 2-3 weeks to reach Northern Canada. With the strong USA dollar it is still is a bargain and shipping is very reasonable I found.
Always buy the Gem Personna 3 facet blades.
Hardware store scraper blades
will not work for shaving and will give a terrible shave because they are ground different and are not finished properly for shaving (avoid).
GEM blade grind angles.jpg This is a Gem Personna 3 facet blade looks like.
Connaught is a Good on line shaving supplier IMO.

^ This. I bought a bunch earlier this year for reasonable cost and shipping to US was faster than expected. I've purchased from PAA before but they were out of stock (as were many US suppliers) when I was looking earlier in the year. Of course now that I'm stocked up I decided to get into straights. :crazy:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Sometime ago there was a group buy of SE GEM ss blades. The Code on those (which I've been using since whenever to shave with) is 62-0165, Pella's #121-3

I buy my Gem Personna SS PTFE blades from a Connaught shaving UK, you pay what the green price(NVAT) and it takes about 2-3 weeks to reach Northern Canada. With the strong USA dollar it is still is a bargain and shipping is very reasonable I found.
Always buy the Gem Personna 3 facet blades.
Hardware store scraper blades
will not work for shaving and will give a terrible shave because they are ground different and are not finished properly for shaving (avoid).
View attachment 1340513 This is a Gem Personna 3 facet blade looks like.
Connaught is a Good on line shaving supplier IMO.
I agree completely. Connaught is great and the blades came relatively quickly for me.

Sometime ago there was a group buy of SE GEM ss blades. The Code on those (which I've been using since whenever to shave with) is 62-0165, Pella's #121-3
I just purchased a pack of 100 of these for $21 plus shipping from razorbladeco.com. It’s the best deal I’ve found for these. They also have Personna DE blades and some other things as well I believe.

Time for new Personna GEM PTFE SS Blades.

Can anyone tell me if these are “PTFE”?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_4883.png
    IMG_4883.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
What you want is the GEM Personna triple-facet blades with PTFE coating. The others are industrial blades no good for shaving. This photo is from the Connaught website. The 100-packs come in a plastic box. The 10-packs come in a clear plastic dispenser.

1700853362660.png

These are the ones I buy. I typically buy them from music shops or scientific supply warehouses. Only cost $15-18 USD per 100. They use them to make custom reeds for wind instruments and dissection/sample collection in labs.

The important part is the product code/ID number. 62-0178 you can clearly see it in my photo. Hard to read the number on Connaught's site but it's clear on Bullgoose's. My 4 packs is probably a lifetime supply even if I settle on using my Sabre exclusively. Blades typically last 20+ 3-pass shaves for me (I had to buy 20-sided gaming dice to keep count). I have both Sabre plates and when I use the ".. or aggressive" plate it is an every other day shave. Blackland is working on a V.2 Sabre and I'm excited to give it a go.

GEMblades.png

I don't like change but that's the world we live in. Went to the music shop I've bought from before and like Personna has changed/changing their DE blades to Accutec, they have done the same with their GEM blades. I ordered one pack to try them out. Price has gone up a few dollars too. Now $23.50 per 100. If the blades last the sameish 20 shaves, thats still only $.012 per shave. A penny a shave, I don't miss carts one bit. This shop sells them in the context of the music industry and reed making having no clue they are also for shaving. Fingers crossed the new blades truly are the same.

GEM pkg.png

Gem newold.png

Gem Text.png

Top Bottom