What's new

Gem MMOC vs Enoch

Lately I seem to be on a quest to find the razor that I can use daily to get the closest two pass shave. More than two passes generally means irritation on my neck, hence the limitation on two passes. Also, I need to be efficient in my use of time since I already have to wake up too early every weekday morning to get ready for work. On the double edge front I've settled upon my new CNC machined Muhle Rocca, but here on the SE side I've mostly been using my Classic Shaving Enoch. Based upon a suggestion I received in a different thread from pwheeler, I loaded it with a Feather Pro Super. My MMOC has a Gem PTFE coated blade in it. I was interested in which would give me a closer shave, so this morning I shaved one side with the MMOC and the other with the Enoch.

This was the second shave with the Pro Super in the Enoch, and while it was marginally smoother than the first it was not what I would consider a smooth shave. That said it did not cause any irritation and wasn't so unpleasant as to make me abandon its use. The MMOC was up second and immediately it was a relief. I have never had any issues using the MMOC; it's never cut or nicked me and I find the angle to be intuitive. The second pass was very much like the first but more subdued; the Enoch still felt a bit rough but not dangerously so as I shaved the right side, and the MMOC easily glided around the left side of my face. The alum block did not reveal any differences from one side to the other and the post shave feel was fine with no nicks, cuts or irritation.

The big surprise to me was that the Enoch produced a noticeably closer shave than the MMOC. I will next see if it can dethrone the Rocca as my most efficient razor. When I compared the two using Feather Pro and Schick Proline blades, the Rocca gave me the closer shave, but today's shave feels like the closest I've had with any razor. I'm not sure that I will learn to enjoy shaving with the Pro Super blades, but I'll certainly be using them when I want that extra close shave.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I was really rooting for the MMOC. Sounds like it gave a comfortable shave but not as close as the Enoch. I'd probably still choose the MMOC, but everybody knows I'm a total vintage snob :biggrin1:. Very interesting post.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Lately I seem to be on a quest to find the razor that I can use daily to get the closest two pass shave. More than two passes generally means irritation on my neck, hence the limitation on two passes. Also, I need to be efficient in my use of time since I already have to wake up too early every weekday morning to get ready for work. On the double edge front I've settled upon my new CNC machined Muhle Rocca, but here on the SE side I've mostly been using my Classic Shaving Enoch. Based upon a suggestion I received in a different thread from pwheeler, I loaded it with a Feather Pro Super. My MMOC has a Gem PTFE coated blade in it. I was interested in which would give me a closer shave, so this morning I shaved one side with the MMOC and the other with the Enoch.

This was the second shave with the Pro Super in the Enoch, and while it was marginally smoother than the first it was not what I would consider a smooth shave. That said it did not cause any irritation and wasn't so unpleasant as to make me abandon its use. The MMOC was up second and immediately it was a relief. I have never had any issues using the MMOC; it's never cut or nicked me and I find the angle to be intuitive. The second pass was very much like the first but more subdued; the Enoch still felt a bit rough but not dangerously so as I shaved the right side, and the MMOC easily glided around the left side of my face. The alum block did not reveal any differences from one side to the other and the post shave feel was fine with no nicks, cuts or irritation.

The big surprise to me was that the Enoch produced a noticeably closer shave than the MMOC. I will next see if it can dethrone the Rocca as my most efficient razor. When I compared the two using Feather Pro and Schick Proline blades, the Rocca gave me the closer shave, but today's shave feels like the closest I've had with any razor. I'm not sure that I will learn to enjoy shaving with the Pro Super blades, but I'll certainly be using them when I want that extra close shave.
I think both SE razors are excellent from what I have read and I use the MMOC but do not own a Enoch, When ever I get a very close shave like in BBS it can indicate to me sometimes the razor is very good but not a enjoyable daily driver possibly. The AC blade system are much wider than a standard vintage Gem or Schick injector blade system and that might be awkward for some users. I think the Enoch razor is a nicer looking razor in some ways but is not a open comb either. Interesting thread when folks compare different razors in a show down and give opinions, one thing that some have mentioned is the blade keepers that secure the Enoch blade are a little finicky when loading until you get use to it.

I think both SE razors are excellent from what I have read and I use the MMOC but do not own a Enoch, When ever I get a very close shave like in BBS it can indicate to me sometimes the razor is very good but not a enjoyable daily driver possibly. The AC blade system are much wider than a standard vintage Gem or Schick injector blade system and that might be awkward for some users. I think the Enoch razor is a nicer looking razor in some ways but is not a open comb either. Interesting thread when folks compare different razors in a show down and give opinions, one thing that some have mentioned is the blade keepers that secure the Enoch blade are a little finicky when loading until you get use to it.
I am very impressed with the Enoch, but I'm not sure that the blade loading will ever stop being finicky. To be fair, it only adds maybe a minute at each blade change, but it is a bit annoying. I certainly wouldn't recommend the razor to anyone who removes the blade after each shave. If, like me, you only open it when you change blades, it's a small price to pay for an otherwise exceptional razor. That said, the MMOC may be as old as 80-90 years and is one of the easiest and surest to load and certainly no slouch in terms of efficiency.

Top Bottom