What's new

Gem Micromatic Open Comb

Well I have found the SE for me folks. The Feather Weight PIF started my love for SE razors. First the Feather Weight, then a Damaskeene, and now the MMOC. The Feather Weight and Damaskeene are great the same way a Tech or Super Speed are great-easy DFS shaves with no fuss. I could never get an easy BBS shave with them however. I could get BBS with 4 passes and then touch ups here and there but then it was pushing my face to the limit of what it could endure.

Then I came across a Gem MMOC in its green Bakelite container at an antique store for $5. I told them I'd give them $4 for it and we had a deal. I have had it for about a week but have been on vacation. Today was the day...and it performed flawlessly. Three passes and minor touch ups to BBS!

When you put a blade in the MMOC man it looks nasty. I had to check it-it almost looks like the blade sticks out further than the combs on this guy!

$2012-10-28 10.23.15.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice for $4! The MMOC is pretty the standard for efficiency that other SE's are measured against, and, isn't it nice owning the razor that beat Gillette to the TTO market?

I have one of these enroute to me.
Found one in like new condition with box.
Cost me way more than $4 and is dated around 1932 or so.

Cant wait to try it.

Picked up one of these for $5 at an antique store. It's completely brassed, but maybe it was made that way.

I've been using the 1912 so far and loving it as my first SE razor. Your post has reminded me to try the OCMM next. Thanks!

The open comb came in brass or chrome...from what I have used the brass seems to be more agressive. The brass one I have doesn't have the lumps inside like the chrome ones.

I didn't know it was gold plated and not a brass...Weird.

Does yours have the knobs inside for proper blade angle or is the inside a flat bed?

I have been de shaving with my titan for the past month.
Very content with my shaves and the razor.

Today I thought I would show my gem open comb some love.

Got bit three times on my neck. That will teach me to go so long
Without using it.

Shaved with mine tonight. Smooth and wonderful! BBS and no nicks/weepers. I was surprised because this shave had to be rushed as I was late getting ready. Most of my razors give me at least one or two bites when I shave that quickly. The OCMM was just wonderful. Truly amazed at how great a shave it gives. Wish I had started SE shaving sooner.
(Used my Mem shaving cream for sensitive skin. Very underrated cream!)

Top Bottom