What's new

Gem Micromatic Open Comb, best blades?

I am new DE shaving. While surfing around I came across all the vintage DE razors then stumbled into SE razors, then I fell down the rabbit hole. I ended up buying a Gem Micromatic Open Comb. Besides the GEM blades, what other blades are available?

1573831133280.png
1573831167514.png

The GEM PTFE coated blade is THE blade. The other blades, simply put, are stainless but uncoated, and carbon steel.

The PTFE blade is by far the best.

Make sure you use an extremely shallow angle (head almost touching the face) and a light touch, and the MMOC will reward you with smooth, comfortable shaves.

I usually palm strop my GEM blades just prior to the first use; it seems to take away some of the harshness that sometimes happens on the first shave.

Congrats, and enjoy!

The GEM PTFE coated blade is THE blade. The other blades, simply put, are stainless but uncoated, and carbon steel.

The PTFE blade is by far the best.

Make sure you use an extremely shallow angle (head almost touching the face) and a light touch, and the MMOC will reward you with smooth, comfortable shaves.

I usually palm strop my GEM blades just prior to the first use; it seems to take away some of the harshness that sometimes happens on the first shave.

Congrats, and enjoy!
@kingfisher Where can I buy these bladed?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Most of the sellers have them.

"Gem Personna Stainless PTFE Coated" (or something very similar with all those words) is what you should look for.

I bought my last batch from Phoenix Artistan Accoutrements, but West Coast Shaving has them too. Just about any seller who does modern Gem style razors should.

You may also find them in stores that sell home medical supplies. Drug stores in the US often have one variety of Gem blades, but in Canada I have yet to find one so I order them online.

O.H.

I've tried all kinds of blades in mine. I have yet to find a Gem blade I can shave with. I have not tried palm stropping though. Maybe that's the answer. I have been able to use Feathers in some of them with varying results. Nothing consistent though.

Top Bottom