What's new

Gem Micromatic Comparison and Impressions

This whole thread is a perfect example of why I hate the old threads that apparently used links to photos in other locations which could vanish without a trace if the OP closed the account or the photos host vanished. Not a single one of the OPs photos has survived!

Ny question is regarding the MMOC. What is the difference in shaving between the version with the two raised dots on the baseplate that the blade sits against and the version without them?

Some say that they can detect no difference at all. My own experience has been that the "bumpless" version tends to be slightly more aggressive.

I believe that the bumps were added around 1932 when ASR/Gem came out with their double edge (or Doubledge, as they called it) blade, which of course had no spine.

Also, I have only seen the no-bump version in gold finish (which is not to say that no other finishes exist).

--Bob

Yes, its a shame the original pics are gone ... thank goodness I was careful using my first GEM a few years ago- checking & rechecking blade position - it can move before you twist close completely. MMOCs have become my favorite SE razors.

I double check blade position on all my Gem blade razors as I note that the blade stops are pretty minimal on a lot of the ASR made early lather catchers and on one I had to use a punch and jewelers file to recreate a blade stop that had been damaged.

Top Bottom