What's new

GEM Junior; ugly duckling/shaving swan?

Gentlemen:

A couple of years ago, my wife was visiting her family in Pittsburgh and I had to stay home because of work demands. She was gone for about a week. While she was there she visited a couple of antique shops, and she bought me a GEM Jr and brought it home for me (yes, I know, she's a keeper!).

When I saw it, my first thought after being thankful for a wife that thought of me while away, was "What an ugly razor!" It has a bronze-colored head and a thick, hollow black plastic handle, as many of you know.

When I loaded a blade in it to give it a try, I was a bit concerned that the tabs that hold the blade don't actually cover the sharp corners of the GEM blade. (I had previously had a bad experience with a modern GEM-style razor, getting scratched/cut by the corner of the blade during a shave.) So, I gingerly fired it up for a single shave; I actually can't remember if I finished an entire shave with it or not. After that I put it into a drawer with all my other razors and it sat there completely ignored until last week, when on a whim I pulled it out to give it another try.

In the interim, I learned to shave with a straight razor, so I learned a trick that made me feel more comfortable about the exposed corners; I dulled the corners on my mirror. Then I loaded up the ugly duckling and took it for a spin. I was very surprised to find that this was a really nice shaver!

It's quite mild. I think it may even have negative blade exposure, but I'm not entirely sure about that. But, it shaves quite nicely. The handle, though ugly, is ergonomic and really works. After two passes, I had a nice, close, comfortable shave. I have used it for three shaves since and it continues to deliver. It's comfortable in the hand, easy to use, mild but efficient enough to do the job in two passes (which is my norm). Really, nothing not to like about this razor except for its looks.

And you know, the looks are growing on me, too. Sometimes when a razor performs well, it's other deficiencies fade into the background.

Any other fans of the GEM Jr?

I have one, but it’s not my favorite GEM, however it shares a DNA with the much loved “lather catchers” that sell for hundreds.

Not sure what you mean about the blades. The blade corners should set behind the two corner blade keepers.

I have one, but it’s not my favorite GEM, however it shares a DNA with the much loved “lather catchers” that sell for hundreds.

Not sure what you mean about the blades. The blade corners should set behind the two corner blade keepers.
Nope. The "corner blade keepers" are too close together, leaving the edges exposed. I don't know whether GEM blades were slightly narrower in the past or what, but the blade is definitely wider than the distance between the blade corners.

Nope. The "corner blade keepers" are too close together, leaving the edges exposed. I don't know whether GEM blades were slightly narrower in the past or what, but the blade is definitely wider than the distance between the blade corners.
Can you post a photo of the blade installed?

B8777EB6-55D1-4E3C-8C37-F6E3E760C043.png

Sorry. You'll just have to take my word for it. It only overhangs by a millimeter or so at each end, if that. And I haven't cut myself on it; don't even know if it is possible to do so.

Modern and vintage GEM blade corners should sit behind the blade stops pictured.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Gentlemen:

A couple of years ago, my wife was visiting her family in Pittsburgh and I had to stay home because of work demands. She was gone for about a week. While she was there she visited a couple of antique shops, and she bought me a GEM Jr and brought it home for me (yes, I know, she's a keeper!).

When I saw it, my first thought after being thankful for a wife that thought of me while away, was "What an ugly razor!" It has a bronze-colored head and a thick, hollow black plastic handle, as many of you know.

When I loaded a blade in it to give it a try, I was a bit concerned that the tabs that hold the blade don't actually cover the sharp corners of the GEM blade. (I had previously had a bad experience with a modern GEM-style razor, getting scratched/cut by the corner of the blade during a shave.) So, I gingerly fired it up for a single shave; I actually can't remember if I finished an entire shave with it or not. After that I put it into a drawer with all my other razors and it sat there completely ignored until last week, when on a whim I pulled it out to give it another try.

In the interim, I learned to shave with a straight razor, so I learned a trick that made me feel more comfortable about the exposed corners; I dulled the corners on my mirror. Then I loaded up the ugly duckling and took it for a spin. I was very surprised to find that this was a really nice shaver!

It's quite mild. I think it may even have negative blade exposure, but I'm not entirely sure about that. But, it shaves quite nicely. The handle, though ugly, is ergonomic and really works. After two passes, I had a nice, close, comfortable shave. I have used it for three shaves since and it continues to deliver. It's comfortable in the hand, easy to use, mild but efficient enough to do the job in two passes (which is my norm). Really, nothing not to like about this razor except for its looks.

And you know, the looks are growing on me, too. Sometimes when a razor performs well, it's other deficiencies fade into the background.

Any other fans of the GEM Jr?
I have a couple of GEM Junior bar Lather catchers and they are very enjoyable razors to handle and give a great milder shave for being over 100 years old. The Gem junior bar lather catchers are nice also to look at and your model has been refined over the years from the lather catcher models. The Gem Jr 1933>is based off the Gem 1912 head and there is nothing wrong with that. The blade gap on the older Gem Junior bar lather catchers are a little tighter or around .017 thousands of a inch compared to 1912 models that have around .023 thousands of a inch blade gap .
Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom