What's new

Gem G-Bar

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Good Evening ,I'm looking for some info on the Gem G-Bar
1) what is the metal used to make this fine razor?
2) is there a way to find the date of manufacturing on these Razor ? I would like to find My birth year 1957
3)How do they Shave? so far I'm loving the 1912 Gems and I was hoping to get a razor that shaves The Same

Hey Steve, the G bar is considerably milder than the 1912s I have corrupted you with:w00t:
It shares the same head geometry as the Featherlite with the white plastic handle. I'm not sure when they were made, but the G bar is all brass. I just used a half spine shim for the first time in one of my Gems and it was an even closer shave, not by a lot but noticeably for sure.

1. The G-Bar is made of chrome plated brass.

2. Sorry, "1950's" is about as specific as it gets, as there are no date codes or serial numbers.

3. As with many razor lines, generally the newer models are less aggressive than earlier ones. While the G-Bar is obviously based on the 1912 design, it is generally regarded as significantly milder.

Incidentally, "G-Bar" is a nickname. The razor was officially known as the Heavy Flat-top.

--Bob

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Thank You Bob and Jeff, I'm happy to hear that it is all brass I will not buy any pot metal razors
Jeff again thank you for the lend I now have a bad case of R.A.D. for SEs :w00t: So next on my list is the G-Bar and the I want one of these guys ,How do they shave ? Bob you are like Edgar and Alex's over on the DE side of things a wealth of knowledge:thumbup:
$more_lathercatchers4.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hello @gLet, I have a G bar and it is ok a shave, My particular one seemed mild and I still like to use it once in a while.
It is one of the nicest looking GEM razors and is smooth and forgiving.
What material it is made from @jmudrick or @mata_66 know a lot about Gem razors also I found out as we all went on a learning curve into GEM history.
Gem G bar razor.

Weight: 60 grams(2.12 oz)
Blade gap: .023 thousands of a inch (.58 mm)
Blade exposure: Positive slightly
Blade: Gem Personna stainless steel PTFE(very sharp blade, #1 & 2 shave could feel rough to some and then smooths out)
Overall handling: Good weight & good grip on handle, also easy to install blades with easy clean up afterwards.

-Good blade securement with four blade seats machined at the lather ports with a spring loaded cap that pushes blade forward into the front two blade keepers and enough pressure downwards to keep the blade safely held in place for a enjoyable shave we all want.

-Razor technique changes slightly compared to a standard Gillette razor , Shallow (ride the cap) angle of razor with light to neutral pressure with short strokes worked best for myself. Longer strokes of the razor did not work out for me.

-good razor for medium beard type like mine for a shave that should give a DFS>bbs with the Personna SS PTFE blade.

-possible daily driver for certain beard types, for my medium beard type the GEM G bar would be a good choice IMO. Most of my shaves WTG 1st pass ,2nd pass XTG & ATG 3rd pass with a clean up for 1 week were giving results of DFS>bbs. BBS can be had on the cheeks easy and along the neck line DFS > bbs with easy J hooking technique if a person desires. Buffing had no problems as the blade smoothed out IMO.

-some times XTG pass will help to knock the most stubble down around the chin area and then ATG pass was a lot smoother with no razor skipping.

- once you get your technique dialed in the Gem G bar is a joy to shave with IMO.
gem-g-bar-jpg.934309

Here is some more information on GEM razors if interested.Gem Razor Models
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Graydog, if you still get updates to this old post, send me an addy & I'll send a GBar to my hometown

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Is the whole razor made of brass?
This sure a older thread and it is still worth commenting regardless, concerning your inquiry.

I'm going to give you the best conclusion and estimate I can give and what I did was took a reasonable strength magnet and what it indicated handle is none ferrous and head is none ferrous so it is more than likely brass.
The handle is poured brass with a nickel coating and head is brass with a similar coating and riveted to together to make the G-bar.
Have some great shaves!

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Graydog, if you still get updates to this old post, send me an addy & I'll send a GBar to my hometown
Thank you for the offer :)
I have had a few since I posted this thread
I gave one to friend about 2 years ago and he loves it still.
I always get a kick out of going back and reading my old post's.
It is a good way to see how you are growing .
And why you are .

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Thank you for the offer :)
I have had a few since I posted this thread
I gave one to friend about 2 years ago and he loves it still.
I always get a kick out of going back and reading my old post's.
It is a good way to see how you are growing .
And why you are .

Ok, I tried - just a couple years late :001_rolle

Resurrecting this thread, as I had my first shave with a G-bar today. I think it is milder than a Blackland Sabre level 1. The shave result wasn't great, but I think it was more due to the 9th shave on that GEM PFTE stainless blade and an unfamiliar razor. It is a milder/safer GEM razor though. I like the build quality too.

The Heavy Flat-Top/G-bar is one of my favorite ASR razors. I have a 2nd generation version. It is built like a tank and has a good weight to it. For me it is much more efficient than the Blackland Sabre level 1 or level 2 (using Personna GEM PTFE-coated Stainless Steel blades). I find it more maneuverable than several razors I own. There are a ton of 1912 variations, so you may find it more or less efficient depending on which 1912 variant you are used to using. I use the HFT for 2-day's growth starting with the second use of a blade and get about 9 shaves with a blade using this razor. As far as aggression, there are several ASR razors that have more blade feel/aggression but not necessarily more efficient (or only slightly more efficient). YMMV is king here, but out of my 13 ASR razors (and two modern GEM style razors), the Heavy Flat-Top gets used the most.

Top Bottom