What's new

Gem G-Bar razor

I was going to wait until tomorrow evening to shave but you know how that goes...:lol:

I loaded a fresh GEM blade into it and lathered up some Bigelow/Proraso and went to work.

It's not a bad razor and I got a really good shave but did get "bit" in a couple places. DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT RE-PASSING AN AREA YOU JUST SHAVED THAT HAS MINIMAL OR NO LUBRICATION when using this razor!

Mainly it's a matter of maintaining the proper angle and with the head already angled this can be a bit tricky in places (the grain on my neck is horizontal). I tried to do an extra touch-up pass under my chin and was rewarded with a case of razor burn about the size of a quarter and it hurts like hell (witch hazel applied). I'll chalk this up to technique and perhaps better pre-shave prep in the future. Otherwise a very smooth shave.

I want to see how many shaves I can get from these GEM blades. They're locally available but they're also $.55 each.

So for now I'll give it a "Pretty Good" rating.

Witch hazel splash and Ivy Club "Spice" AS topped of this evening's shave. Probably should have used something with glycerin in it. NO DAMN WAY was I going to use Osage Rub!

I really need to try a SS blade in mine.

I was going to wait until tomorrow evening to shave but you know how that goes...:lol:

I loaded a fresh GEM blade into it and lathered up some Bigelow/Proraso and went to work.

It's not a bad razor and I got a really good shave but did get "bit" in a couple places. DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT RE-PASSING AN AREA YOU JUST SHAVED THAT HAS MINIMAL OR NO LUBRICATION when using this razor!

Mainly it's a matter of maintaining the proper angle and with the head already angled this can be a bit tricky in places (the grain on my neck is horizontal). I tried to do an extra touch-up pass under my chin and was rewarded with a case of razor burn about the size of a quarter and it hurts like hell (witch hazel applied). I'll chalk this up to technique and perhaps better pre-shave prep in the future. Otherwise a very smooth shave.

I want to see how many shaves I can get from these GEM blades. They're locally available but they're also $.55 each.

So for now I'll give it a "Pretty Good" rating.

Witch hazel splash and Ivy Club "Spice" AS topped of this evening's shave. Probably should have used something with glycerin in it. NO DAMN WAY was I going to use Osage Rub!

I am the necroman...

Just tried my first shave with a G Bar and have to say i'm underwhelmed. I ended up with a couple of weepers and some bad razor burn.

It's my second Gem, have a 1912 that I've had plenty of good results with so i'm aware of the foibles of Gems IE: their head shape and the occasional difficulty that can cause with maintaining blade angle. Perhaps i'm out of practice with them. I was using a fresh Gem blade but it never felt particularly smooth. Picked up a feather weight in the same deal as well but i think i may not be in a huge hurry to try that head shape again when the 1912 gives great results and my go to Tech and Nacet combo is just shaving on easy mode.

Oh well, another razor tried and tagged. It was a painful experience, like being new to this all over again.

I also got a G-bar recently. It bit me a few times on my first shave with it, but was much better the next time. I blame my technique for the initial bad experience. Used it again yesterday after a vintage Valet blade failed me and again it worked well; although I ended up finishing with my 1912 since I'm most familiar with it, and wanted to avoid potential razor burn after my attempt with the vintage blade. I'm sure I'll use it again, although it's not (as of now) among my favorites. I love the look of it though.

Top Bottom