What's new

Gem G-Bar razor

Scored one today at a secondhand shop for $3 Other than some slight discoloration on the checkered grips this thing's in outstanding condition esp. the chrome.

Any fans of this razor?

Looks Identical to this one:

proxy.php

When were these razors made?

I really love the look of these and want to get one after I cool my AD's awhile. So cool-looking.

I found a Gem Featherweight (new for $9.00!) that has a very similar-looking head. I love the way it shaves, a little better than my 1912. The Featherweight with a Treet is my favorite combination.

I had a few SE's got rid of all of them except the "Flat Heavy Top" (G-bar). When it was an SE's turn in the rotation I just couldn't pass it up. Most prefere the 1912 (I think) but my Personal Fav is the Heavy Flat Top. It got my Pops back into traditional wet shaving also. I think they were produced sometime in the 50's. Someone else will have to confirm this though.

I'm guessing the blades might be hard to find (Ted Pella?)

I'm reading that you likely cannot use...nor would you want to use...the single edge razor blades you find at the hardware store for scraping. :w00t:

I'm guessing the blades might be hard to find (Ted Pella?)

I'm reading that you likely cannot use...nor would you want to use...the single edge razor blades you find at the hardware store for scraping. :w00t:

No don't use any from the local hardware store. Ted Pella's yes, CVS, Rite-Aid, and Walgreens all carry some also.

I shaved with one this morning. Pella coated blade. Smoooth.

You can still get blades at certain drug stores (I can find them at CVS drugstore locally)

Thanks, guys!

I know the razor I got today is in as good condition at the one shown in the Wiki.

I was going to get rid of it. Hmmm....maybe I'll hang onto it for a while.

I just received a nearly new Gbar in today's mail. Like you, I look forward to my first shave with it. Nice looking razor

I've tried most of the SE blades available...Treets, Ted Pellas, GEM Stainless (Walgreens), PAL, Blue Star and CVS. Treets are my favorite, but the CVS blades were fine. I get a smoother, closer shave from carbon steel blades than the stainless...don't know why.

The Walgreens down the street has a good supply of GEM (Personna) SE razor blades (10 pack for $5.49)

Bought one package. I may try the CVS blades if they have them but will stick with the GEM blades first.

Very interesting razor. Can someone enlighten a newbie as to how well they shave? Are they difficult to use?:confused1

Very interesting razor. Can someone enlighten a newbie as to how well they shave? Are they difficult to use?:confused1

I did some "practice dragging" around my face with G-Bar. I'm going to shave with it tomorrow so subscribe to this thread and I'll post the details.

The HFT is one of the later model Gems that share the same head with the Micromatic Flying Wing, Featherweight, Push Button and the Contour. All are considered "milder" than the earlier 1912 and the Micromatic open comb and Clog-Pruf razors. They are capable of great shaves but some guys with heavy beards have to work a little harder with the later models.

The best feature, at least for me, of the HFT is the flat plate at the bottom of the handle to rest on the pinky or ring finger. I just prefer the 1912 and the first two Micromatics over the later models.

Just received one today purchased from a member on the B/S/T. I have recently purchased several other Gems and I'm looking forward to trying the GBar.

That is one of my all tame favorite looking razors. It's a fantastic shaver, but I'll admit its a bit aggresive for me. My favorite SE is the Clog-Pruf, but for your first one you picked out the most handsome example. Plus if you got it for $3 it can always just look pretty in your shave den :thumbup1:

Top Bottom