What's new

Gem G-Bar flip top single edge safety razor SE

I love my Featherweight, and need to try the Gbar one day.

proxy.php

The G-Bar is a nice razor, it will serve you well. I had my first SE shave with a G-Bar, it led me to becoming a SE fan boy. . . . . . . Had my first shave with a "Clog Pruf Micromatic" on New Years Day. . . . . . I hope you end up liking SE shaving as much as I do.

DD

"Just bought one of these beasties on ebay

This to go with my Merkur.

You'll be glad you did."

I wonder, between the G-Bar & the Merkur, which he''ll like best?
(I can hardly wait to find out)

DD

"Just bought one of these beasties on ebay

This to go with my Merkur.

You'll be glad you did."

I wonder, between the G-Bar & the Merkur, which he''ll like best?
(I can hardly wait to find out)

DD

I bet I can guess which he'll like better. Here's a hint: It rhymes with G-Bar.

You should be quite happy with your G-Bar, which, BTW, was actually named and sold as "Heavy Flat-Top". I prefer G-Bars over Feather Weights, but neither see as much use as the Micromatic line (especially the OC). SE razors can still be found on the cheap, so I suggest trying as many as you can:thumbup1:

You should be quite happy with your G-Bar, which, BTW, was actually named and sold as "Heavy Flat-Top". I prefer G-Bars over Feather Weights, but neither see as much use as the Micromatic line (especially the OC). SE razors can still be found on the cheap, so I suggest trying as many as you can:thumbup1:

Indeed she had them for 8,99 usd (plus shipping, which was quite low too). 2 nos razors and 36 nos blades :thumbup: I am proud of her.

Indeed she had them for 8,99 usd (plus shipping, which was quite low too). 2 nos razors and 36 nos blades :thumbup: I am proud of her.

Did my first shave with one of them today. Not bad at all, but I had hoped for more reduction in the first pass. I did the second pass with the Feather AS-D1 loaded with a Dorco 301. Touch up of the goatee area with the Gillette Guard. Final result was good, comparable to an oc shave (2 pass). Will exercise some more with the G-bar and also try other blades. Perhaps these old blades have lost their edge.

Last edited:
i predict in a few months time.... you may hear a sad wailing noise coming from your shave den..... ignore it, its just your DE razors that miss being used.

...try other blades. Perhaps these old blades have lost their edge.

Yes, that is probably the very first thing to try. Get some stainless GEM blades from Walgreens or elsewhere and then give it another try. With a good blade, these SE razors are topnotch!

Remember that the angle and technique are somewhat different from what you are used to with DE. Go find the videos and make sure you were doing it right. You want that blade laying as flat against your face as you can get it and still get cutting. Imagine yourself shaving the face of a young lady - that's how much pressure you want - just enough to keep contact.

Yes, that is probably the very first thing to try. Get some stainless GEM blades from Walgreens or elsewhere and then give it another try. With a good blade, these SE razors are topnotch!

I have some new Treets (ASR) lying around, will try them too. Walgreens is a bit far for me :laugh: I have to get blades online. Would not know where they stock them in this part of Europe.

Last edited:
Did my first shave with one of them today. Not bad at all, but I had hoped for much more reduction in the first pass. I did the second pass with the Feather ASR loaded with a Dorco 301. Touch up of the goatee area with the Gillette Guard. Final result was good, comparable to an oc shave (2 pass). Will exercise some more with the G-bar and also try other blades. Perhaps these old blades have lost their edge.

Second shave I did both passes (WTG and XTG) with the G-bar. Touch up with the Feather AS-D1/Dorco 301. Shave was pleasant, but around the jaw line not close enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom