What's new

GEM=DS-D2=SR

Bought a GEM Micromatic on EBay. Close BBS shave equal to that of my Feather and straight razors. No cuts or nicks. Did GEM develop the ultimate razor 50-100 years ago?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 29
I own maybe 20 safety razors (SE, DE and injector) and the GEM MMOC is my favorite. Great combination of efficiency and safety from nicks and weepers. The thicker SE blades definitely help. TTO is a nice bonus. Hard to say never, but I can't see going back to DE razors. Might use injectors occasionally to give my MMOC a brief rest.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The rigidity of the SE blades is something else. It makes for a different shave, even than tightly clamped DE razors. I have a Gem Jr, I like a lot.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Gem made some awesome razors and have used all the different models with great pleasure. I got involved collecting and using them 2+ years ago and they are just as good as some of the most expensive modern models out there.
In the early days of safety razors the new products that were designed for those time periods went through a gauntlet of testing and reviews before the products were presented to the general public.
Bought a GEM Micromatic on EBay. Close BBS shave equal to that of my Feather and straight razors. No cuts or nicks. Did GEM develop the ultimate razor 50-100 years ago?
The razor you have was designed to Twist to open(TTO) and was the first production TTO razor in the USA & world and 4 or 5 years ahead of Gillette's TTO even hit the market for sale. The MMOC was produced from 1930-1941 with a few different variants. The Micromatics more than likely saved American Safety Razor Corp(ASR) from the depression of the dirty thirties.
Here is a thread for more information and history of the Gem, Everready, Star razors(ASR) if your interested.

Gem made some awesome razors and have used all the different models with great pleasure. I got involved collecting and using them 2+ years ago and they are just as good as some of the most expensive modern models out there.
In the early days of safety razors the new products that were designed for those time periods went through a gauntlet of testing and reviews before the products were presented to the general public.

The razor you have was designed to Twist to open(TTO) and was the first production TTO razor in the USA & world and 4 or 5 years ahead of Gillette's TTO even hit the market for sale. The MMOC was produced from 1930-1941 with a few different variants. The Micromatics more than likely saved American Safety Razor Corp(ASR) from the depression of the dirty thirties.
Here is a thread for more information and history of the Gem, Everready, Star razors(ASR) if your interested.
Thanks for the GEM information and on the MMOC in particular. The MMOC definitely is my favorite of my 19 razors.

Top Bottom