What's new

Gem Damaskeene vs ATT Calypso Aluminum?

Been wet shaving for long time. I have a nice collection of DE razors, both vintage and modern. Looking for my first SE razor. Prefer milder razors. Which one would you choose between the two?
Thanks, Claudio

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
No experience with modern SE's but for a nice mild (but still efficient) shaver, I would whole-heartily recommend the GEM Damaskeene. The closed comb will be far more inexpensive and easier to find -- and probably a touch milder -- than the older GEM Damaskeene Open Comb. But again, I'm a vintage-only guy....it would be great if someone who has experienced both to chime in. I must warn you though, many die-hard DE users and collectors have walked over to the SE "dark side" and never returned to their beloved DE's. I haven't let my DE's go yet, but I haven't shaved with them since I started down the SE path...be warned!

There's a special deal on the the RazoRock Hawk for $20 at Italian Barber. The code is 33%CRAZY. it's good through 3/29. I have one and thought it was a bargain at $30.

I have no experience with modern SEs, but would definitely recommend a 1912 as a first SE. No reason to get a Damaskeene in my opinion though. Personally I find the improved Ever Ready '12 to be a better shaver than the Damaskeene, slightly more efficient at least with my examples. Also I like the chain link handle that is usually seen with the ER better, and the Damaskeene usually has a steel handle that will rust if not dried off after use. Any 1912 would fit the bill though.

I
Been wet shaving for long time. I have a nice collection of DE razors, both vintage and modern. Looking for my first SE razor. Prefer milder razors. Which one would you choose between the two?
Thanks, Claudio
Have a 1912 Gem and a ATT SE1 Aluminum. The att was easy to use from the first day. Great shaves. The 1912 I have not been able to figure it out. Makes my face raw.

I

Have a 1912 Gem and a ATT SE1 Aluminum. The att was easy to use from the first day. Great shaves. The 1912 I have not been able to figure it out. Makes my face raw.

Pretend it’s an SR, keep the blade/head angled close to flush with your skin. The 1912s are a much different shave than modern AC style, but great in their own right.

There's a special deal on the the RazoRock Hawk for $20 at Italian Barber. The code is 33%CRAZY. it's good through 3/29. I have one and thought it was a bargain at $30.
I just tried it, it said “code does not work with the items in your cart” I have a Blackhawk in my cart.

Anyone got it to work?

I would go with the Damaskeene. It provides a very smooth shave consistently.
More comfortable than my MMTOC, GEM Jr., and EverReady.

I think only the silver one is on sale.
Oh ok, makes sense I don’t see it so it’s probably sold out, it’s a good thing since both Hawks I have happen to be the silver v1 and v2...to get back on topic I have also been looking for a GEM or any good vintage that uses these types of blades as I’ve been reading great things about them.

I had a Micromatic Clog Prof but have limited experience in using them and the GEM Damaskeene looks great, I was also interested in the ATT Calypso because it’s aluminum and I prefer lighter weight when it comes to AC blade single edge handle.

The Calypso design looks similar to the Hawk, hopefully someone that has used both can chime in.

I’ve had a SE razor bug lately, also thinking of getting another injector and get the Schick Twin blades from Japan along with the type O clone that I’ve read great things about as well when paired with the Schick Twin blades and it’s longevity...too many choices but limited budget.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I have used 1912s as well as a more modern take on Gem SE (PAA Starling V2).

The Gems (for me) are gentle, smooth, but no matter what I do with angles I have trouble getting all the stubble. Also, I only shave my head. Using the Starling V2 with the SB plate is exactly like the Gems for me. The Starling V2 with the OC plate, however, is the shave I was looking for.

O.H.

I

I have several 1912 Ever Readys, all of which I use with heavier modern handles fixed on with a 2BA thread. I had a SE1 which I sold because I found the blades too wide and I find the Personna GEM PTFE blade sharper than the Prolines I used in the SE1.

I'd recommend a Micromatic ClogPruf or a 1912. Two of the best razors ever, together with the MMOC.

I like the GEM based single edge razors, and the Damaskeen is a fine razor. I have most of the vintage GEM/Ever Ready line including the Star/Kampfe razors. All great.

But a RazoRock Hawk with a Schick ProLine blade, IMHO or at least on my face, delivers a better shave.

So the answer is, of course, GET BOTH!

The closed comb will be far more inexpensive and easier to find -- and probably a touch milder -- than the older GEM Damaskeene Open Comb.
You would think so, but no, it’s the opposite. I have an OC Damaskeene and every permutation combination tooth comb version, and the OC is the mildest. Even compared to the first tooth comb version that immediately followed the OC (same very curved top cap and heart shaped spring), the OC is milder.

The most aggressive Damaskeene by far is from the mid-20s and only says “GEM Damaskeene Blades” inside the head instead of “Use only with GEN Damaskeene Bkades”

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The most aggressive Damaskeene by far is from the mid-20s and only says “GEM Damaskeene Blades” inside the head...”

I'll have to look at mine and see. It hasn't come up to the top of the pile yet.

O.H.

Top Bottom