What's new

GEM Damaskeene SE Razor

Yesterday I purchased a GEM Damaskeene SE razor in the travel box. It came with everything but blades (as well as several items I'm sure don't belong with it, see picture). I'm not interested in using it but would like to have some blades for display purposes. I'm not having any luck in finding a website where I can order them. Any suggestions?
Razor.jpg

An open comb 1912 to boot. They are a bit milder than the closed comb versions. As far as OEM blades for display go, you can post a want in the buy-sell-trade forum. That stropper probably is original with the set, the blades you have are not related to the razor at all.

If you want the real McCoy, there are Gem Damaskeene blades out there. Some say "Damaskeene" on the packet, and some say "Gem Double Life" but the blade inside says "Damaskeene". If it doesn't matter that much, any pack of vintage Gem blades would work. Auction sites have them.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
And I have never found a razor that shaves better than my GEM Damaskeene.

Why would you not shave with it? Any 1912 is a great shaver, one of the best you can buy, in any price range!

Got mine from Walgreens.

71EAx7IRMML._SY355_.jpg

The Damaskeenes were the first of the 1912 razors, with the open comb model being the first of the Damaskeenes. They are identified by the "USE ONLY WITH GEM DAMASKEENE BLADES" stamped on the inside of the base plate.

proxy.php

The open comb version appearied in 1912 and the majority of Damaskeenes date to 1916-1919. In 1919 Gem was acquired by American Safety Razor Corp. Damaskeenes produced prior to this merger say "Gem Cutlery Co." on the back, while post-merger models say "Gem Safety Razor Corp"

There are several variants including curved caps and flat caps with a bevel.

Some consider the Damaskeenes to be the smoothest shaving of the 1912's; others claim that there is no real difference. Such disagreements are the lifeblood of forums such as this one.

--Bob

Bob, once again, very interesting. I had thought ASR stopped using the Damaskeene name for razors after it acquired Gem in 1919 and that they were thereafter just stamped "Gem Safety Razor Corp." or "Gem". I thought ASR just kept the Damaskeene name for blades.

@jar_: Does that say Gem Cutlery on the back? I have a closed comb Damaskeene that says Gem Cutlery, which I've assumed means pre-ASR. I'd be interested to see one that says "Gem Safety Razor" or "Gem" on the back and "Damaskeene" inside, which would show that ASR continued to use the Damaskeene name for razors and blades, rather than just for blades. And if that's the case, some Damaskeene razors are 1919 or later....

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Your wish is my command:

proxy.php

I dated this one as 1919. My guess is that it is transitional.

Bob, once again, very interesting. I had thought ASR stopped using the Damaskeene name for razors after it acquired Gem in 1919 and that they were thereafter just stamped "Gem Safety Razor Corp." or "Gem". I thought ASR just kept the Damaskeene name for blades.

Not only that, but with the very very last Damaskeenes (circa 1921) ASR dropped the "USE ONLY WITH" leaving the inside of the base simply stamped "GEM DAMASKEENE BLADES". I'm guessing that ASR didn't want to discourage the use of other ASR branded blades in the razor.

A year or so later new Gem 1912's were introduced with "GEM BROOKLYN NEW YORK MADE IN USA" stamped on the inside of the base plate and "GEM" on the back. These are sometimes called the Brooklyn 1912's and were produced until the introduction of the Micromatic in 1930.

--Bob

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
That would make sense. Gem Cutlery's address was in Manhattan; Gem Safety Razor's was Brooklyn.
The keys with this one that I think place it in either 1919 or 1920 is the GEM Safety & Brooklyn address with the "Use only with..." impression. Something Old and Something New; is it possible it is a clue?

Top Bottom