What's new

Gem Damaskeene Comparison

After poking around the Safety Razor Compendium and Ebay, I believe I've identified four distinct "Damaskeene" Razors. Time period advertisements give these razors several names as the razors were sold in packaged sets with cases and accessories. Accordingly, for the purpose of my classification, I'm stating a Damaskeene Razor is any razor the manufacturer stamped with the word Damaskeene.

Around 1906-1907, Gem Cutlery company started making a ridge back single blade razor. They manufactured the Gem Jr razor to use these blades. This razor had the olde-timey design of the lather catcher. In 1909 a patent was filed for the Gem de Luxe razor, which would be awarded in 1912. This patent describes razor 1 pictured below (the Damaskeene Open Comb). Advertisements for this razor describe it being made of damascene steel. Around the same time, Gem Cutlery Co received a patent for the Damaskeene Razor Blade, and in 1912 were advertising an open comb razor as the Damaskeene Razor.

By 1915, advertisements started showing the razor comb as being closed. See razor 2 pictured below. Aside from the different comb, it has a dramatically different tray. The open comb's tray is very flat and does not have drain holes. Razor 2 has a depressed tray with drain holes and is nearly identical to razors 3 and 4. The tension spring on razor 1 has a cut out which is different than razor 2-4. Razor 2 has a soldier dot on the spring which is not present on any other of the examples I have.

In 1919, Gem Cutlery Co becomes Gem Safety Razor Comp. The rear of the razor gets an updated description. See razor 3.

In 1921, Gem Safety Razor starts selling "Double Life" blades which (I believe) replaces the Damaskeene Blades. In the photo of razor 4, you'll notice it says, "Gem Daskeene Blades," as opposed to "Use Only Gem Damaskeene Blades." To me, this is a clear indicator this razor was made during the transition from the Damaskeene Blades and the Double Life blades. I don't believe it is an issue of leftover parts being used during the transition as the inscription has the subtle change.

Some time after 1921, the 1912 patent razor of course lives on but without the word "Damaskeene" engraved in the tray.

Photos-- Razors go left to right 1-4 and are oriented the same in each picture.

proxy.php

Tray
proxy.php

Bottom
proxy.php

Rear
proxy.php

My GEM Jr bar pre- dates the razors you have pictured here. It's also a Damaskeene.

Here are some pics: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/291589-GEM-Jr-(Damaskeene-)-question-(with-pics)

Nice Gem Jr Bar! The patent on that razor originally referred to the forged steel blade razors known as the lather catcher (that particular style head was patented in 1901). In 1906 the single edge ridge back blades were invented and the Gem Jr was designed to use it. Gem was good about keeping legacy products and the Gem Jr continued in production after 1912. Based on the fact it says Damaskeene on it, I think we can definitively say that specific razor was made sometime after 1912 as that's when the name Damaskeene first was used.

Nice thread! I got quite excited on the subject and checked my two closed combed Damaskeenes (both GEM Cutlery New York) and clearly there are some variations on your No. 2.
View attachment 295452
Also:
View attachment 295453

And finally (not really a good pic- but what I am trying to point out is that the "push" (don´t know the proper word in English I am afraid) is more shallow on one and more "deep" on the other:
View attachment 295454

Again a very nice topic- thanks for posting. Apparently me myself was not aware of the variations on the CC Cutlery variations until I checked mine more up closely. I am sure others will be here soon and could share some light in these muddy waters I guess we swim in. Sorry for the poor pics by the way- I just shot them very hastily.

Is no one gonna bite on this thread..?
I just noticed that my pics were wrongly uploaded. In my last post I tried to highlight with a little aid from the MS Paint program- not very succesful- I just noticed- after a few days. Here you go again. The same poor pics again- I am afraid..
Both razors are stamped GEM Cutlery New York and are likely to have been manufactured before 1919.

1. There is clearly a difference on the trays´sides.
$DSC01046.jpg
2. Check the differences on the end of the trays..
$DSC01047.jpg
3. Notice that the "thingy" that you place your thumb upon is more shallow than the another one.
$DSC01041.jpg
The better shaver of them two? Apparently the handle plays a part here- and mine with the "odd handle" wins easily.
About the head? The winner is the one is the one with complete flat tray, one with the more deeper "thingy" (or push), and the one that is pictured on the left on picture- alas the Damaskeene I first I got- see link . I swopped handles for fun but this first one wins easily. It´s a fantastic shaver.

proxy.php

Note the indent around the blade clip - as well when you look at the blade clip from underneath there is a heart shaped cut out. This razor would seem to fit between your 1 & 2.

We're the first gen marked "Gem Safety Razor Corp" or "Gem Cutlery Co"? Any idea on a timeline when they changed the markings?

I am just marking this thread so I can find it later. Just bought a cased Gem like razor #2 on the 'bay and I want to do more research.

There does appear to be at least 3 Gem Cutlery variations not counting the open-comb.

Quite a bit of variation in the whole line of Gem Cutlery and Gem Safety Razors actually. Of all six of mine no two are exactly the same.

Last edited:
There are indeed a lot of variations - and every time it seems like we have cataloged them all, something else turns up. :001_rolle

--Bob

Yeah it does seem like they must have been making changes with every production run.

And we haven't even got into the blade covers. :biggrin1:

Maybe i´m stupid or i havn´t read right here, but i own a Ever Ready 1912...isn´t the GEM Damaskeene the exact same Razor? Or would it be worth buying it?

The 1912 was made under many different brand names over many years with lots of small variations. Some say they all shave the same some say they notice a difference. I can tell slight differences mostly in the handle and sometimes the angle. I say pick one up and let us know your thoughts on it.

Maybe i´m stupid or i havn´t read right here, but i own a Ever Ready 1912...isn´t the GEM Damaskeene the exact same Razor? Or would it be worth buying it?

They are the same design razor, but not the "exact same."

The Damaskeene was produced roughly from 1916 - early 1920's, while the Ever-Ready version did not appear until around 1930. There are differences in the cap, comb and shaving angle, as well as them having different handles.

The significance of those differences is yet another topic for endless discussion on forums such as this one. :001_rolle

--Bob

After poking around the Safety Razor Compendium and Ebay, I believe I've identified four distinct "Damaskeene" Razors. Time period advertisements give these razors several names as the razors were sold in packaged sets with cases and accessories. Accordingly, for the purpose of my classification, I'm stating a Damaskeene Razor is any razor the manufacturer stamped with the word Damaskeene.

Around 1906-1907, Gem Cutlery company started making a ridge back single blade razor. They manufactured the Gem Jr razor to use these blades. This razor had the olde-timey design of the lather catcher. In 1909 a patent was filed for the Gem de Luxe razor, which would be awarded in 1912. This patent describes razor 1 pictured below (the Damaskeene Open Comb). Advertisements for this razor describe it being made of damascene steel. Around the same time, Gem Cutlery Co received a patent for the Damaskeene Razor Blade, and in 1912 were advertising an open comb razor as the Damaskeene Razor.

By 1915, advertisements started showing the razor comb as being closed. See razor 2 pictured below. Aside from the different comb, it has a dramatically different tray. The open comb's tray is very flat and does not have drain holes. Razor 2 has a depressed tray with drain holes and is nearly identical to razors 3 and 4. The tension spring on razor 1 has a cut out which is different than razor 2-4. Razor 2 has a soldier dot on the spring which is not present on any other of the examples I have.

In 1919, Gem Cutlery Co becomes Gem Safety Razor Comp. The rear of the razor gets an updated description. See razor 3.

In 1921, Gem Safety Razor starts selling "Double Life" blades which (I believe) replaces the Damaskeene Blades. In the photo of razor 4, you'll notice it says, "Gem Daskeene Blades," as opposed to "Use Only Gem Damaskeene Blades." To me, this is a clear indicator this razor was made during the transition from the Damaskeene Blades and the Double Life blades. I don't believe it is an issue of leftover parts being used during the transition as the inscription has the subtle change.

Some time after 1921, the 1912 patent razor of course lives on but without the word "Damaskeene" engraved in the tray.

Photos-- Razors go left to right 1-4 and are oriented the same in each picture.

proxy.php

Tray
proxy.php

Bottom
proxy.php

Rear
proxy.php
This is a very informative post. If still around can you please re upload the pictures. I am getting a messages, sorry, this image is currently unavailable. I am dying to see your pictures.

I am a new fan of anything GEM, 1912.

Thank you for this thread.

Top Bottom