What's new

GEM Damaskeene. BBS but at a cost

I'm not sure if the head is different to the GEM 1912 or it was the fact that I used a Ted Pella blade instead of a GEM blade but it's the most aggressive shave I've ever had. I ended up with BBS but I think I lost 4 layers of skin and ended up with half a dozen weepers. It's now two hours after I shaved and my skin is still tingling. I wimped out of the aftershave and went with the Nivea soothing balm but it really didn't help alot.

Has anyone else used a Damaskeene and what's you experience? I imagine that this could end up being a favorite if I can tone it down a fraction with a change in technique.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've used both, I think the angle is just a scootch different on the Damaskeene, but mine could have been bent at the handle joint over the course of the years. And there is a bit of difference on the head with more of a curve on the Damaskeene .. I wouldn't give it up yet

I'm looking fwd to getting ahold of some of those Ted Pella blades...the Damaskene makes enough of a difference (for me) over the 1912 or Micromatics that it is actually worth adding to the rotation. But the store blades I have still don't cut it, pardon the expression; calls for a few too many passes to get decent result. I know it can do better with a better blade.

The Damaskeene is one of my favorites - try sorting out the angle without a blade. I find it's not as effortless at first to maintain the angle, since the head isn't as flat as a 1912, but once you get the angle right, it really shaves very well.

There are open comb Damaskeene models as well -though I don't see them often.

The Damaskeene is one of my favorites - try sorting out the angle without a blade. I find it's not as effortless at first to maintain the angle, since the head isn't as flat as a 1912, but once you get the angle right, it really shaves very well.

There are open comb Damaskeene models as well -though I don't see them often.

I'm sure angle is part of my problem, but that curved head is the draw for me...slides much more easily on my face than the flat '12, Micromatics or later Gems ever did. Now that you mention it I see the tradeoff there; the flatheads find their own angle for you, pretty much.

I'm not sure if the head is different to the GEM 1912 or it was the fact that I used a Ted Pella blade instead of a GEM blade but it's the most aggressive shave I've ever had. I ended up with BBS but I think I lost 4 layers of skin and ended up with half a dozen weepers. It's now two hours after I shaved and my skin is still tingling. I wimped out of the aftershave and went with the Nivea soothing balm but it really didn't help alot.

Has anyone else used a Damaskeene and what's you experience? I imagine that this could end up being a favorite if I can tone it down a fraction with a change in technique.

Was this the first shave on the TP? I find they can be very rough on the first shave or two unless you palm strop.

Top Bottom