What's new

GEM CONTOUR

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
How many of you guy's use and like this razor. I have one I and I usually use the PTFE blades in it and I believe I get more comfortable, better, cleaner, smoother shaved with it. I've been using my Razorock DE-1 with a Wilkinson blade it and getting good shaved. I'm going switch to my contour today and I'm excited. Shaving with the contour to me is the equivalent of going to a high class event.

I use mine as I rotate through my Gem razors on Gem Mondays. It does shave well, but it is not a standout in the Gem lineup. I like the stainless steel construction.

The Contour is the only GEM razor I do not own.
The funny thing is, I was looking at one at Etsy just before I signed into B&B and saw your post. I would like to have one to complete my collection, but the only ones I see are too expensive (in my eyes) and I just don’t feel the love for the design of the contour as compared to my other GEMs. If I find one that’s real cheap, I’ll pick it up. I’m not knocking it’s abilities to provide a wonderful shave, it’s just seems to have lost its appeal as GEM moved farther into the era of plastics.

Got mine a few years back good and cheap, cased with the bits, looked brand new to me. A really good close shave here too. I generally toss in a Treet carbon blade when I use it.

There are two versions of the Contour, the original and the Contour II. The Contour is of largely stainless constuction and the C2 is mostly plastic.

Contour:
20200417_113116.jpg

Contour II:
20200727_094157.jpg

I find the handle on the C2 to be on the flimsy side and it was the last Gem razor marketed in the US.

I had the push button model of the Gem Contour. I loved its appearance, but it was too mild of a shaver for me. The Gem Contour was an inglorious end of the distinguished Gem SE razor line up, which stalwartly lasted for over 75 years.

It's too bad Gem didn't go out with a bang, instead of with a whimper. Life at times is neither fair nor logical.

The Contour is just slightly milder, for me , than the Pushbutton, which I attribute to the handle; the ergonomics are just different. The Contour 2 is imbued with a fair amount of mediocrity, the last shaving implement to bear the GEM name before they threw in the towel.

Man! I had decisions to make. I had a contour lined up to buy on eBay. I kept reading and scanning through the photos trying to make up my mind. Then I was undecided with a nice looking Contour II in my sights. The choice decision was killing me, so I bought a STAR (silver tone) DE instead.
CFA7139F-78E1-461E-B874-B18A182EE88C.jpeg

The Contour is very much like the Pal adjustable injector razor in construction. I think it is well made, though a mild shaver. It has some heft to it and I am happy to have one in my pile.

Ooh, sorry. Too new to this. Just too excited. But somehow I thought I read they were similar?
I really don’t know.

Regardless, I’m gonna’ use it!

Ooh, sorry. Too new to this. Just too excited. But somehow I thought I read they were similar?
I really don’t know.

Regardless, I’m gonna’ use it!
It’s a great razor. I have two of them. Enjoy!
I can see though, how GEM may have used the PushButton as a prototype for the Contours.

OK. Just used it along with the junior switching off. Simple enough to adjust between them I am thrilled with both. The push button for some reason seems a bit smoother. The junior a little more straight razor feel. Straights are my go to blade. Really, both were enjoyable for their own reasons.

The Gem Contour Push Button razor was made 1958 to circa 1980.

The Gem Contour ll was a later and cheaper version, circa 1970 to 1980. The Contour ll was the last of the great Gem genre of razors.

Top Bottom