What's new

Gem Carbon Steel Inconsistency

I got confused reading reviews about Gem carbon steel blades. Some say they are very good and others say they're terrible. Now I understand this a little better. In the last few days I have had two opposite experiences with these blades. First I tried the CVS carbon steels a few days ago and they just wouldn't cut--completely dull. Today I tried the "Renewal" brand from Rite Aid and it worked OK. Both are supposed to be made by Edgewell Personna. From now on I'll just toss any dull blade and continue until one works as it should. I got a big pile of the "Renewal" brand on Ebay and was ready to throw them away, but at least now I can use them.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
At one time all you could purchase was carbon until stainless surgical steels came along, A.S.R bought a lot of these smaller razor & blade mfg companies as they were struggling against the competition. Treet carbon blades were brought into the A.S.R umbrella and also Pal who made hollow ground carbon blades and excellent products. These blade mfg's had all their own proprietary grinds on their blades that ASR might not of honored later as leaner yrs drifted by? Personna(A.S.R remnant company) still makes Gem style carbon blades for drug stores, hostpitals....utility knifes that was part of the A.S.R empire of company's of shaving equipment mfg's at one time.
Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom