What's new

GEM Blades

What razors that use GEM blades do you use, like, and find very comfortable and easy to use?

I've tried a couple of GEMs, but couldn't get comfy with them. Not sure if it's the weight, or lack thereof on most of them, but for the life of me I either can't get close or feel raw afterwards. (I'd rather shave with the Fat-Boy on 7 or 8 than any of the GEMs I've tried). After ordering the OneBlade Core, I sort of jumped the gun and ordered 200 PTFE blades from Connaught Shaving....Core went back, and now have two boxes of blades to figure out what to use them with. (I don't need that many scraper/utility knife refills! :001_smile) And that's excluding the 30 something Personna GEM Blades from Amazon, which may or may not be coated...probably not, but the reviews indicated people liked shaving with them.

So what should I consider trying? Any suggestions?

Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf SE Razor_intructions2_1.jpg

This works for all the Gem razors I use. If you go too much steeper, you run into trouble!

Henckels Rapide is my razor of choice, then there is the 1914 (with long blade stops), and the 1924. If you never tried a Gem blade razor before, start with the 1912. They are cheap, plentiful and will give a close and comfortable shave.

Rabidus has the right info for you, it's all in the angle with Gem razors. Start as flat to your face as you can, and experiment until you hit the sweet spot. You'll get plenty of audible feedback when you get in the right groove.

What Gem razors have you tried?

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Look at the 1912s. Ignore all the new GEM razors. The basic 1912 or GEM Junior will treat you kindly. Then, once you have fallen in love and reach the point where your eyes wander, then and only then make a pass at the young GEMs. True, they are inexperienced and somewhat clumsy but their inexperience can be an attraction.

It took me a while to get the hang of shaving with a Gem. I had an Ever Ready Shovel head for years. Would try to shave with it, fail, put it down, then try again a few months or years later. I started to figure it out with a Gem Pushbutton and the Gem Contour, both mild razors. But it wasn't until I took part in Single-Edge SEptember that I finally nailed the technique. Guess I just had to keep with it until I got it. Now the Gems I enjoy the most and get the best shaves from are the G-Bar and the Micromatic Open Comb.

I tried (very poorly) with a Micromatic, open comb, or at least I'm pretty sure if was a MM....have since e-bayed it. I current have a push-button, actually it's listed on this board.

Now the 1912 models, appear to be open combs of sorts, with an interesting wire-like comb. They're actually more comfortable than the push-button, which I thought was mild? - If I have the right model, I think I saw a pair of them for $10 plus $4-5 shipping earlier today. (A gold & silver colored set, both with hex shaped handles).

Forgot to add, I've seen that picture before and would have swore I'm laying it relatively flat and barely lifting it off my face at the back. That said, I have a lot more time using DEs.

It takes a light touch and a shallow angle! Some people use steeper angles with success. The Push Button is mild. For me. If I feel the blade, then I'm too steep. Place the blade at an angle recommended for str8 razors! I don't feel the blade, I feel stubble being sliced off.

Use the angle that < Rabidus > has indicated and remember that the SE magic, as far as closeness comes, with the "against the grain" pass.

I was wondering if it was just me. I couldn't get a good shave with my featherweight. I restored it this morning and it turns out that I was just too steep. Granted, I still don't get as good of a shave as with my DE, but it is better than it was. I just need to spend more time with it to perfect my technique.

I was wondering if it was just me. I couldn't get a good shave with my featherweight. I restored it this morning and it turns out that I was just too steep. Granted, I still don't get as good of a shave as with my DE, but it is better than it was. I just need to spend more time with it to perfect my technique.

The featherweight is certainly a capable razor, a bit on the light side for me. The Micromatic OC and Clog Pruf are definitely more efficient.

Glad it worked better this time around!

I love my GEM 1912 and EverReady 1914 and 1924, then come the Gem MMOC and Clog Pruf. I don't like the later GEMS (Contours, Pushbutton, Featherweights) the are just too mild for me.

Well, going to try one more time, grabbed a nice looking Gem Jr, which by all accounts is a 1912 head, but on a nice thick handle for like $8.50 shipped. Should be here early next week.

Thanks Guys

Top Bottom