What's new

Gem Blades

Is this a good blade? My Wife just got me two Gems. One is a 1912 that needs cleaning and replating if it is worth it. The other is probably stainless and has a white handle. it is newer. I figured that I would clean them up and try them. I will post pics before and after cleaning. They both seem to have good spring action.

Its the blade I'm currently using. I have some Ted Pellas on the way which are GEMS also. These can be had at Shoebox shaving and someone is selling the on this forum in the BST section. SE's have become popular lately. Do a search on this forum. Plenty of info here.

Good luck, Ray

I have to vote for the Gem by Personna stainless blades at Walgreen's also... very consistently smooth and comfortable blades.

dont want to rob the thread, but what about derby singles?

I assume, that you mean this product:

http://www.shavingfactory.com/product_p/derby16.htm

It won't work in a Gem SE, as it is too thin, and of the wrong shape. It's also lacking the heavy spine of a SE blade, along with the center hole which is used to lock the blade into place in the razor.

The Derby single edge is a standard double edge blade that has been snapped in half, and is used in a razor called a "shavette". A "shavette" is a style of straight razor with disposable blades.

I've only been able to find the Personna Gems at the stores around me. Online would be different I assume. I have seem some old stock in various antique shops, but most were used or extremely high priced.

Thank you everyone. This could be an experience. At 62 I have never used a single edge razor. I do have a nice first aid kit with sutchers, butterflies, antiseptics and pain killers. Will get back after first attempt as soon as physically possible with a report.

Thank you everyone. This could be an experience. At 62 I have never used a single edge razor. I do have a nice first aid kit with sutchers, butterflies, antiseptics and pain killers. Will get back after first attempt as soon as physically possible with a report.

Uncle SHAKEY? SE Razor? OMG good thing you have the first aid kit!

BTW there's a giant box of vintage gem SE razor blades at an antique store near me, don't know how full it is, but they want 90 bucks so it better be full. Anyone interested? Next time I'm there I'll snap a pic and get more info...

I also use str8s. Only bad cuts were at between 4 & 5 o'clock in the morning when swmbo hit the locked bathroom door to see if I was in there just as I touched the razor to my temple. This my private bathroom downstairs off of the office. She shouldn't have been up.
At least life will never get boring.
This ain,t really bad since my hands are a little shakey.

Top Bottom