What's new

Gem Blade Help

After much research I took the plunge. I just purchased a Gem G Bar. I hope I made the right decision - I wanted something not to aggressive for my first SB razor and my move away from DE's. For reference, I like a milder razors anyways, RR Gamechanger being my favorite.

If the G Bar is too mild, Ill take the next step up so I may be back for more help :001_smile

Now, blades. Any suggestions. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

After much research I took the plunge. I just purchased a Gem G Bar. I hope I made the right decision - I wanted something not to aggressive for my first SB razor and my move away from DE's. For reference, I like a milder razors anyways, RR Gamechanger being my favorite.

If the G Bar is too mild, Ill take the next step up so I may be back for more help :001_smile

Now, blades. Any suggestions. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Perfect. Get GEM PTFE from Try A Blade

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Perfect. Get GEM PTFE from Try A Blade

Absolutely....the Gem PTFE!!! One word of caution, there are a few other types of blades at Try A Blade and you definitely want the Gem PTFEs. That is a high-performing, long-lasting, low-risk blade for (what seems like) 99% of the SE shaving population.

There are others you can try -- and I have -- and I did NOT get good shaves from them! The Gem Carbon was REALLY bad for me -- not meh -- but REALLY, REALLY bad!!!! I did get an OK shave from the Pal Blue Carbon's -- but it was still light years from what I get from my Gem PTFE blades. I have not tried the uncoated Gem SS yet.

Bottom line, there are a few choices out there -- not as many as DE -- but a few. Do yourself a HUGE favor and start with the Gem PTFE's before exploring other options. I would've probably run away from my favorite SE razor, and SE shaving in general, if I had started with the Gem Carbon blade I tried from Try A Blade.

You picked the perfect SE to start with. The g-bar is not aggressive and not mild. I find it to be an efficient razor that gives smooth and comfortable shaves. Gem PTFE blades are the best and I do like the Gem Personna stainless steel that I find in my local supermarket.

You got one of my favorite GEM types. It's heavy and snaps shut holding the blade well. Such a retro look. Let us know about your shaves on the thread, Micromatic Monday, if you like. :)

Great. I will definitely share my experiences. Thanks.

You picked the perfect SE to start with. The g-bar is not aggressive and not mild. I find it to be an efficient razor that gives smooth and comfortable shaves. Gem PTFE blades are the best and I do like the Gem Personna stainless steel that I find in my local supermarket.

Yeah, Ill see how those PTFE treat me, and then try the Personna stainless ones.

It's the perfect razor to start off paired with the PTFE blade. Can't stress enough on the technique and how it's very different from a DE razor. Head flat against the face raised not more than a mm. Zero pressure , short strokes and skin stretch ! Repeat !

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

After years of wondering around DE land, I now shave exclusively with SE razors. The GEM PTFE blade is the one to use, as others have mentioned. I would only add that it can be a little rough on shave #1 but smooths out beautifully after that and I get 6 shaves out of every blade (never did better than 4 with a DE blade so I am happy.) Don't give up on the GEM if the first shave is a little aggressive. Some people strop the blade first but that never worked for me.

good luck

GEM5.jpg

I’ve seen that before and I really think it’s wrong. The “do this” angle should be between 2 and 3.

Those instructions are for the 1924 "Shovel Head", which does require a slightly different angle of approach that the other ASR SE razors. For the G-Bar, you're right, closer to the face than shown in #3.

"Unlike bulky 'round-top' razors" - I love it. Take that, Gillette.
That's what I read too and isn't it a pity that what they had to sell as a marketing line in those days, today we group are re-discovering the truth in the statement beyond its marketing "gimmickry". Yet, ironically back in those days - the bulky round top razors won the day !

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Top Bottom