What's new

Gem 1912 questions

My son came home for the Thanksgiving break and brought me a Gem 1912 that appears to be a travel set. On the base where the handle screws in it is marked pat'd 1912. On the inside of the head, where the blade goes, it says GEM Brooklyn, NY made in USA. It is in a very neat 3" square plastic/cellulose case with a blade case and 3 wrapped blades that are marked GEM Double Life Blade. The handle is a little less than 3"and is nicely lined for grip. I have attempted to add pictures.
From what I have read there are a number of variations of this 1912 model but I have not found much about the travel variation that I assume this is. Given the expertise that resides on this site, I figured I would see what I can find out. I am anxious to give this a try but I hate to use these blades and I can't buy new ones until restraint ends on 12/31. Any information will be appreciated. This is my first single edge so it is a total learning curve.
IMG_3062.JPG
IMG_3063.JPG
IMG_3064.JPG

Congratulations on your new razor - it's a great razor to start your SE adventure with. Prep and technique is pretty close to what you are used to with DE shaving, short strokes and no pressure. The biggest change will be the angle of the head to your face. The cap should be just a bit off of being flat to your face; you'll find the right angle for you after a bit.

You're right about those original blades - they are carbon steel and are probably beyond redemption for shaving today. I can spot you a few new PTFE coated GEM blades to get started, just PM me.

Those sets were very common in the 1920s and were popular as promotional giveaways for businesses.

Last edited:
I used the Ever-Ready version of the 1912 in the standard size w/chain link appearance handle the last few days. I think in my opinion this is one of the best safety razors ever made. Excellent close shave, if I were getting more blades which I think you should as well, I would set up an account w/ Ted Pella and buy the PTFE stainless blades he sells. Just remember to let the top cap almost touch your face when shaving with it.

Some of the travel sets have a curved top cap like a demaskeene and seem to be a bit more aggressive than the flat cap normal versions. After your restraint Connaught has the nest price on 100 packs of the ptfe.

I have two ER 1912's and love them. Mine are very loud to the point of sacaring me, but they have never cut me. Always a 3 pass BBS, with no irritation.

Lookin' good, imcnok!
Do the handles on these guys come unscrewed? Maybe they are improved by a longer handle. An adapter would be necessary. (I have yet to procure my very own 1912, still experimenting with OCMM and CPMM).

Lookin' good, imcnok!
Do the handles on these guys come unscrewed? Maybe they are improved by a longer handle. An adapter would be necessary. (I have yet to procure my very own 1912, still experimenting with OCMM and CPMM).
Yes, the handles unscrew. They have a very short and small diameter thread.

Top Bottom