What's new

GEM 1912 Open Comb?

Looking for a little insight from the SE historians/experts.

I just got this today on eBay and have not yet received it. I thought it was a Gem Deluxe, but it looks like there is a patent date on the head, which I thought the Gem Deluxes do not have, and it also does not have Gem Deluxe engraved on the head, which I think I have seen on the pictures of all the Gem Deluxes I have seen. The handle also looks a bit different.

Is this a post-Deluxe 1912 model that is an open comb? I did not know such a thing existed. If not, what is it? If so, how rare are these compared to the Gem Deluxe and how does the shave compare?

Thanks for any info... Sorry for the weird cut-out photo...

View attachment 103260

they were first shown in the 1912 catalouge and the first model was quite fancy. there were about 5 or 6 different models to follow, some in basic gem cases, some in differently styled cases. they ceased production around the end of WWI.

yours looks like a 1916 model. it probably shaves the same as any other deluxe (all open comb 1912s are deluxes). as far as rarity goes, you dont see them often, but i wouldnt consider them rare. theyre starting to pop up a lot more than they used to.

Last edited:
they were first shown in the 1912 catalouge and the first model was quite fancy. there were about 5 or 6 different models to follow, some in basic gem cases, some in differently styled cases. they ceased production around the end of WWI.

yours looks like a 1916 model. it probably shaves the same as any other deluxe (all open comb 1912s are deluxes). as far as rarity goes, you dont see them often, but i wouldnt consider them rare. theyre starting to pop up a lot more than they used to.

Thanks Dave. I was surprised that there were not that many bids on this and that I got it for $37. I love the 1912's, Lather catchers and OC Micromatic, so I'm really looking forward to trying this. The Gem Deluxe has been one of my "holy grail" razors that I have been looking for for quite a while.

Here is another picture with the case...

View attachment $Gem OC.JPG

$37 for one of these days is actually a really good price. this was the set i had:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
$37 for one of these days is actually a really good price. this was the set i had:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Gorgeous. Does the past tense of your post mean you parted with yours? That would be awfully hard for me to do. I love all my SE's too much at this point to let any go - except the Clog-Pruf I have with the broken blade stop that shreds my face... I've heard these are also one of the best as shavers, a step above the standard 1912 and Damaskeene, from a friend who has one.

Top Bottom