What's new

Gem 1912 Junior & Feather SE blades

I just purchased a Gem 1912 Junior Razor and some Gem SE blades. Feather also makes a SE blade, but it doesn't appear to have a spine on the dull side of the blade. Does anyone know with certainty whether a Feather SE blade can be used in the Gem 1912 Junior? I'm asking because the Feather SE blades are not widely available and I don't want to get stuck with 30 blades that I can't use. Thanks in advance guys.

Short answer, no. Long answer, you might have to modify them, but GEM SE blades are more available and cost less. If you want to use Feather SE I recommend a Oneblade Core or a Autostrop Valet.

Cheers

I had a feeling they wouldn't work because the GEM clamps down on the spine on the back of a typical SE blade. Thanks for the quick reply. If you're a dad, happy fathers day.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
IMO the Gem Personna SS PTFE are a superior blade for longevity and are just as sharp or sharper and I use both systems. The 50mm blade was designed for shavettes barbers use world wide but folks like to use them in safety razors now a days and they are a lot more pricy than Gem blades.
I can buy 100pcs 3 facet blades for less than 1 magazine of 50mm blades. Gem(ASR) and Gillette had the blade width right that was needed for good shaving over 100 yrs ago and still build excellent blades IMO.
Brexit has really screwed up Connaught shaving supplies UK where I got my blades at a good price.(out of stock)

You can pull the spine off of a used GEM blade and stick it on the Feather FHS-10 blade and it should fit in any 1912 variant. It won't work in a Micromatic because the Feather lacks the cutouts for the MM locking tabs. I wouldn't go to the trouble to buy the Feathers just to see if this works tho.

Top Bottom