What's new

Gem 150th Anniversary

Hi - Just after some info about my recent purchase from ebay.
Is this a legitimate 150th Anniversary Gem Razor?
From what I can see - it looks like it has never been used.
There appears to be no plate loss (could it have been replated?)
The case is in excellent condition and yes it is made from Bakelite.
The spring mechanism feels brand new - tight and snappy.
Is this of any value?
Gems just don't catch my eye but this one did and I was the only bidder so I got it fairly cheap.
I am interested in hearing your thoughts.

Attachments

• g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 56
  • g2.jpg
    g2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 62
  • g3.jpg
    g3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 55
  • g4.jpg
    g4.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
  • g5.jpg
    g5.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
  • g6.jpg
    g6.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
I believe that is a Gem razor to celebrate the sesquicentennial (150th anniversary) of the founding of Australia. Beautiful set and does look to be in great shape. Congrats and enjoy!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Very nice indeed! I have an English made Ever Ready which looks very similar and the case is identical in shape and colour but obviously missing the lid image. A very nice shaver. I would have bought that had I seen it, congratulations! 👍

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Nice acquisition!!! I see A LOT of Brooklyn made Gems, and I've got a few British made Ever-Readys, but I think that's the first Gem branded British made razor I've seen. And the case is beautiful....congrats!!!

I believe that is a Gem razor to celebrate the sesquicentennial (150th anniversary) of the founding of Australia. Beautiful set and does look to be in great shape. Congrats and enjoy!
Yes - you are correct. I should have twigged at that. Cheers :)

Very nice indeed! I have an English made Ever Ready which looks very similar and the case is identical in shape and colour but obviously missing the lid image. A very nice shaver. I would have bought that had I seen it, congratulations! 👍
The seller posted the Gem, a Techmatic and a blue slim Lady Gillette razor - I put opening bids on all three thinking I will probably get priced out for the Gem but there were no takers for it or the Techmatic - it was the Lady Gillette that I had to keep bidding for lol :)
Anyway I got the Gem for $30aud = $20usd.

Nice acquisition!!! I see A LOT of Brooklyn made Gems, and I've got a few British made Ever-Readys, but I think that's the first Gem branded British made razor I've seen. And the case is beautiful....congrats!!!
Thanks for your reply. I thought I was lucky buying it but now I know I was lucky :)
I did see an Ever Ready on ebay today that had the same handle so maybe one supplied for the other?

I seem to recall reading a speculation that the British Gems were meant for export to the Empire/Commonwealth areas and not sold in the UK. My GEM Jewell is British-made; I got it from a seller in Australia.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Thanks for your reply. I thought I was lucky buying it but now I know I was lucky :)
I did see an Ever Ready on ebay today that had the same handle so maybe one supplied for the other?
They did indeed, especially by 1938 -- admittedly I had to look up when Australia was founded and then added 150 years to the date -- since Gem and Ever-Ready were held by the same parent company (American Safety Razor)....so you definitely see sharing of handles and design.

I seem to recall reading a speculation that the British Gems were meant for export to the Empire/Commonwealth areas and not sold in the UK. My GEM Jewell is British-made; I got it from a seller in Australia.
This makes a lot of sense and definitely explains why they seem so rare....I'll occasionally "shop" in Europe/UK for razors, but shipping gets VERY expensive when I try to buy something from Australia. So my chances of acquiring a British Gem will have to wait until I make a trip that direction.

They did indeed, especially by 1938 -- admittedly I had to look up when Australia was founded and then added 150 years to the date -- since Gem and Ever-Ready were held by the same parent company (American Safety Razor)....so you definitely see sharing of handles and design.

This makes a lot of sense and definitely explains why they seem so rare....I'll occasionally "shop" in Europe/UK for razors, but shipping gets VERY expensive when I try to buy something from Australia. So my chances of acquiring a British Gem will have to wait until I make a trip that direction.

This one might interest you. From the same seller that I bought the one above from.

This on looks nicer.

Even better with case.

Another - Vintage complete GEM razor/shaving set/retro/packaging/shaving | eBay - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-complete-GEM-razor-shaving-set-retro-packaging-shaving/193383199099?hash=item2d0689717b:g:xIEAAOSwzCFeWx4a

Top Bottom