What's new

Geek thread...HP calculators...

So who has'em and are they dusty...

HP48s/sx/g/gx...or whatever...

So I bought for a ton of cash back in 1992 an HP48SX calculator. Plus two expansion cards for Chemistry and general equations. Carried me through general chemistry, organic chemistry and saved me in physics (I hate physics).

Fast forward I need a real calculator for accounting and wow, the 48SX comes out from the dustbin and is performing perfectly. I am looking for the expansion card called the "business pac"...

Just curious who might be using theirs and if they still do etc.

-Stephen

A HP 50G. I had a HP-42S that was stolen. Free42 on my Android phone.

The 50G was meant to be my college calculator but we weren't allowed to use calculators in class.

A HP 50G. I had a HP-42S that was stolen. Free42 on my Android phone.

The 50G was meant to be my college calculator but we weren't allowed to use calculators in class.

Good stuff, I forgot I do use the Droid48sx app on my android phone. A bit buggy but it's cool as a backup.

I have a 50G at work that is my work horse. I also have a 35S at work too on my drawings table for quick calculations. I had a 49G+ for years during school. The 50G is a great improvement on the buttons.

I really want a 15C. They came out with a limited edition that I almost bought years ago but the prices crazy now.

I found a 33S on sale when it was closed out, and bought it because I missed RPN and was programmable. Unfortunately, years of drops and once overheated took their toll, and it is no more. I miss RPN, but I didn't like how you couldn't store programs externally. That's still a failing on the HP RPN calculators.

Every now and then I look at the HP 35S, but then I go look at razors until the urge to buy it goes away.

41CV from the early/mid 80's. If I remember I got it just as they dropped the price to something like $180. Got me through engineering school up until the time the started putting computers on everybodys desk (~20 years). Now it sits in my drawer.

The TI-30 was my second scientific calculator. My first was either a Novus made by National Semiconductor, or a National Semiconductor. It was an RPN calculator. Unfortunately, until I ended up with a Casio in the 1990s, my calculators tend not to last long. Those early LED calculators put out the RF noise, and you could pick them up on a radio. You could use them to check the hair wire in the first in-the-windshield car antennas.

I have a 48GX that I bought in college. I loved that thing. I now use the Droid48 app on my phone as my go to calculator app. My son has started using the HP in his high school classes.

I know the prices are insane online, though the 50g's seem to be cheaper than the 48GX's. I'll search craigslist though I haven't had a lot of luck there with anything.

Top Bottom