What's new

Gday!

Hey everyone! - So im new here...

Initially I came to B&B just to view a few wet shaving topics, get a few ideas and then move on but I think the atmosphere (and quality!) of this forum has *kinda* won me over!:biggrin:. After checking out what seems like over a million threads on B&B (dont get me wrong Im having a great time!) I decided to just start an account!

I'm not really new to wet shaving but I am to wet shaving proper. I started out with a Mach3 (like every guy does perhaps) and a can of cream. Instincts tugged and I wanted something simpler (and cheaper) than a 3blade and so with what I knew at the time I figured I would have to live with the Gillette Sensor, that two bladed thing that at least looks simpler and is about 5cents cheaper per cartridge than the Mach3! (what an amazing saving huh!). Finally a few years later my idea of simpler led me to a Philips Electric shaver - hmm do I get kicked out for saying that here?! I bought the *latest model* with so many features it promised it would cook my toast and button my sleeves up in the morning! After 3 weeks I sent it back for a full refund, it was the worst bit of kit i've ever used! I could have taken to my face with a blunt chainsaw and had smoother results!

Finally by accident I ran across the world of DE razors and I'm kinda hooked! Im yet to start and have zero kit, though I have checked out a few vintage razors at a local antique store. With all the great info on the forums I've decided to try to track down a Gillette SS and/or fat boy, but probably only start off with the SS until I actually get the hang of it after a month or so. So if I have no luck locally I might just pop up in the BST threads looking for a find!

Thats me intro'd up! Thanks for the great resources you gents keep putting into the forum - it is pretty damn fine!

Regards, Nick.

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B and good luck!
I think lots of memebers agree, that the atmosphere at this forum is great (see also Who knew). Anyway I fully agree with you!
Enjoy and again, welcome!

Welcome Nick. The SS is a good razor to start with as is the Gillette Tech. If you want to buy new then a Weishi razor is quite mild also, and cheap.
As you have probably already discovered, B&B contains a wide variety of members and opinions. Some even use cartridges.:eek: This is not heresy. Every one to their own I say and it's what suits that counts. I use DE razors, injectors and hell somtimes a sensor.

Enjoy the journey Nick but be prepared for the various SADS and RADS that you will certainly acquire:biggrin:

Welcome, there's a few ausies here.
I went from 2 blades cartridges and a M3 to a philips electric too before I found B&B.
If you can find a superspeed cheap go for it, otherwise start with a 3 piece "tech" or the longer 1970s twist to open gillettes with the long plastic handles.

With the 1970s plastic handles DE razors, I've found the light handle means easier to focus the razor heads weight on your skin more evenly when you are learning DE shaving. All the weight is on the metal head so it's easier for someone new to not apply pressure from the handle to hold the razor to the skin when shaving around the neck. It's easier to move the razor head to change the angle when shaving around the jaw/neck/chin too. It really is easy to flick and steer from the end of the handle to change the angle without putting any pressure into the skin and blade.
The longer handle that's light weight means you will get used to it quicker as it's more similar to a cartridge razor in length and weight.

edit: But if that's not your style, the all metal 3 piece techs that you have to screw apart to change the blades are a gentle razor for someone starting out I have heard.
I started with a red tip and a feather blade though, there was blood loss and I almost gave up. :D

Last edited:
Cheers to you all! Much appreciate the welcome for sure!

I'm happy to say I just bought a Gillette SS from the bay for *I think* a good price ($22US) so, I'm on my way!

Top Bottom