What's new

G'day all!

I'm now at the point where I can get a razor sharp enough to cut about as smooth as a cartridge with one or two shaves on it, and I can reliably shave without any cuts and get a 1.5 pass somewhere in between SAS and BBS...and I am getting the lowest amount of skin irritation that I've ever had.

The progress I've made in the last week is leaps and bounds.

I now own 5 straight razors and I know with certainty that I'm not stopping there...my other half clearly thinks this will become a bit of an obsession, but is graciously allowing it...probably because they don't take up much space.
She's still not too happy about my vintage camera collection...keeps reminding me how much room they take up...

And thanks all for being helpful and welcoming!

Legion

Staff member
I'm now at the point where I can get a razor sharp enough to cut about as smooth as a cartridge with one or two shaves on it, and I can reliably shave without any cuts and get a 1.5 pass somewhere in between SAS and BBS...and I am getting the lowest amount of skin irritation that I've ever had.

The progress I've made in the last week is leaps and bounds.

I now own 5 straight razors and I know with certainty that I'm not stopping there...my other half clearly thinks this will become a bit of an obsession, but is graciously allowing it...probably because they don't take up much space.
She's still not too happy about my vintage camera collection...keeps reminding me how much room they take up...

And thanks all for being helpful and welcoming!
Ok. Going well. Stop buying stuff, and keep practicing with what you have. It will get better still if you stop slowing the progress with new items to learn. Get 100% with what you have, then reward yourself with a new toy or two.

BTW, I know the vintage camera issue…

Ok. Going well. Stop buying stuff, and keep practicing with what you have. It will get better still if you stop slowing the progress with new items to learn. Get 100% with what you have, then reward yourself with a new toy or two.

BTW, I know the vintage camera issue…
Hearing you...but I am learning there are things I do need.

A proper strop for one, I'm using an old leather belt at the moment and while it does work, it is a pain and not ideal.

I can't stop keeping an eye on ebay for future restoration projects... and seeing how little space they take, I don't think it's a problem if I acquire another half dozen over the next few months....I enjoy restoring old tools and the like, I don't think this will be any different.

I do need more grits... all I have at the moment is a 1000 grit and a 2x4" natural finisher, nothing in between. I'm getting a set of grits in lapping film, as it will cost me less than 50 bucks to have a full progression from 600 to finer than 12000, and a ten dollar piece of balsa and 30 bucks in diamond paste gives me a finer finisher.
I knew it would be hard getting a good shave edge with just those two stones. Not keen on repeating that with the one I've got pulled to pieces for a full restoration...and I can't afford a full progression of stones right now.

Beyond that, I don't think I need to buy anything else for a while...wouldn't mind swapping my cheap Synthetic brush for a badger at some point though.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... I don't think I need to buy anything else for a while...wouldn't mind swapping my cheap Synthetic brush for a badger at some point though.
I wouldn't. Have tried about half a dozen badger brushes. I always soon return to my cheap Chinese synthetic. It just suits my lathering style.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Welcome to B&B. When you get a chance head over to the Hall of Fame and tell us a little about yourself.

Welcome to B&B. When you get a chance head over to the Hall of Fame and tell us a little about yourself.
Done!

Top Bottom