What's new

G'day all!

Greetings everybody!

I've been lurking here for a bit, thought I should join...

Most of my adult years I've rocked a beard... but when I didn't I would use a cartridge, usually a Gillette Mach 3.
I've always had lots of razor bumps and irritation, so would only shave once or twice a week, as the next couple of days would be unpleasant.

I remembered my father using a straight razor when I was a kid, and saying it was nicer to use...but never got over the idea of a blade on my neck...then I stumbled upon a shavette and gave it a try.
Lots of nicks later, I put it away again.

Recently I was going through some stuff and came across Dad's old Puma 6/8...started researching and decided to give it a good red hot go again.

Lots of YouTube and lurking here taught me that the razor was something special, so I have bought several old razors to learn restoration and honing on that I won't cry if I mess up.

I'm pretty handy with wood and metal, restoring tools etc. and I can get a knife or a chisel popping arm hairs easy...but I've found that getting a razor shaving sharp is a whole different kettle of fish!

I'm somewhat limited in my sharpening equipment... I've got a Japanese whetstone about 1000 grit, and an old razor hone that belonged to my father which I think may be an Arkansas.
The only strop I have is an old leather belt.

After some reading here, I'm getting a selection of lapping films and some balsa straps and diamond pastes.

So far I've managed to get one of them I the point that it will shave...buy it feels like the shavette with a blade that needs changing.

I'm getting better at using a straight without cutting myself too... and much reduced skin irritation!

Welcome aboard! :badger:

Lots of people here, including down under, who would be able to hone one of your razors to shave ready. There is also a list on the wiki if you want to turn to a professional:

Welcome aboard! :badger:

Lots of people here, including down under, who would be able to hone one of your razors to shave ready. There is also a list on the wiki if you want to turn to a professional:

Definitely planning on the Puma going to a pro...but I want to learn how to do it myself too.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia and thanks for checking in with us and sharing your story.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Welcome @Derwent to the gentlemanly art of straight razor shaving. As you probably have already learnt, there is a wealth of knowledge in B&B. Any questions you have on SR shaving and honing can be posted in the Straight Razor section.

This post may also help you:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Welcome to Badger & Blade! :)

I don't use a straight razor, I'm a DE wet shaver. But I too came from cart razors and electric shavers like most others. Once you begin wet shaving, your shaving experience gets better.

Helpful resources have already been posted by other members. You're well on your way to success! Congrats to you sir! Have a great shave, and have a great day! :thumbup1:

Your Puma sounds like a great razor. I've been on the look out for one (or more) myself. Even more special with it having been your father's.

Your dad was correct, a straight is nicer to use. And you are right, honing a straight is different to knives and chisels. I have no doubt you will pick it up if you so choose.

Welcome to B&B, there is a wealth of knowledge that most are happy to share.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
@NickCutlip , you have the coolest name on Badger and Blade!

And welcome to Badger and Blade yourself, @Derwent !

I'm still trying to screw up the courage to try Straight Razor Shaving for more than once a week. I'm a coward. But at least I'm man enough to admit that I'm a coward! (Must be an oxymoron in there somewhere....)

Top Bottom