What's new

GD W59 Humble Pie

So I have only honed a GD66 a GM666 and 2 vintage. All straight blades. Ordered W59. Read up on honing smiling razor. Attempted yesterday. COULD NOT get toe and heel even with center. Went to a 1 inch wide hone and still failed. By the time I got toe and heel sharp.... smile is almost 100% gone :( Was really looking forward to trying the smiling razor too.

But it seems nice and hard and took a nice edge LOL

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
You’ll get there, keep on honing. You have to bias the pressure from heel to toe during your stroke, aka a ‘rolling X’ stroke.

You’ll get there, keep on honing. You have to bias the pressure from heel to toe during your stroke, aka a ‘rolling X’ stroke.
I tried to "roll" but was apparently not succeeding. Wonder if I can hone a smile back into it after honing it out LOL. When I am done it will be a 3/8 razor haha

I tried to "roll" but was apparently not succeeding. Wonder if I can hone a smile back into it after honing it out LOL. When I am done it will be a 3/8 razor haha

Yes, you certainly can. I often hone in just a little bit of a smile on all my razors that don't already have one. I don't care for a dead straight edge. Like Steve said, you'll just need to keep practicing.

Luckily it is a budget razor (though failure and "waist" still frustrate me) and I am getting my learning in before destroying a vintage.

Luckily it is a budget razor (though failure and "waist" still frustrate me) and I am getting my learning in before destroying a vintage.
I was going to say something right along these lines. I'm sure that you're thinking about what your results were and why. That's progress. When you feel that you see what you've done wrong get another cheap smiler and try to improve your results.

You have to raise the heel to get the toe and raise the toe to.get.the heel. One fluid movement. It isn't easy at first. But everything is "hard'" until you know then it's easy.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you play with adjusting pressure from heel to toe through your stroke, or lower and raise the heel and toe via x-strokes, keep checking your edge with your loupe. You may be surprised by the impact of even very small x-strokes.

And if you don't have a loupe, get one. Here is one that works well for me:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I do not normally but I was in this case. Just trying something different when my normal method was not working. I know you recomend it.
Okay good. Now let the stone do the rocking. As you x-stroke while holding the stone loosely in your unsupported hand, it should rock naturally to an extent. Just sort of facilitate it. Your sharpie can help. Paint the bevel with your sharpie and do just 3 or 4 laps at a time, and study the bevel. See where the razor is hitting stone and where it isn't. This visual feedback will teach you quicker than trial and error.

Keep trying. I think you'll get it. If you try and try and just can't, then there are techniques for bench honing a smiley. I just think this way works a lot better and is easier to learn and ultimately gives better results. One way or the other it's gonna happen. You have the tools, the smarts, and the determination.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
As you play with adjusting pressure from heel to toe through your stroke, or lower and raise the heel and toe via x-strokes, keep checking your edge with your loupe. You may be surprised by the impact of even very small x-strokes.

That Belomo is practically designed and MADE for honing. Every serious or semi serious honer should have one.

I was so frustrated that I could not get the toe to come to a bevel that I raised the heel so drastically and pushed so hard that I gouged my stone a little and broke the tip off the toe. Yes I have anger issues but they are better than they used to be because the razor is now close to shave ready and there are no new holes in my sheet rock.

I borrowed one. Tried to use it. Can't see sheet Captain. I tried it close to blade, close to eye, everywhere in between, moving light around....alll I ever saw was a blurry fuzz. I use a sharpie, my eye, the sunlight, and my fingers and finger nails. I may give it another go sometime as it would be quite nice to be able to see a little better what is going on.

Well I got a new hone in because the sand paper just was not doing it for me. The rough stone I used first was NOT a razor hone. It was a pocket hone for knives. Anyway. 400 to get that dang toe and heel into submission and put a bit of smile back into it.

Hair test, thumb nail test, I was excited. This morning I got all geared up and before I even put it to my face the wind came right out my sails. This thing has a spikey swoopy point tail on the spine. Looks cool right? Well there is no place that my fingers feel comfortable sitting. Tried a different grip or 2. Nope just not gonna fit.

So I shaved with it feeling awkward in my fingers. May have had something to do with the shave. Not sure, but I was not overly excited with the shave. I am smooth as usual. Got no irritation. No cuts. Just did not "feel" right.

So calling it a win. I got another nice looking razor for my collection. I learned to hone a smile. Got a new stone. And now I go back to vintage and my 66.

Top Bottom