What's new

GD PIF

I have three GD 66s that I purchased a few years ago to mod. Just never found the time or space to do it safely away from my kids. So I am going to do my first PIF by passing along three razors. This will be US only and random pick. Date of draw will be Sunday the 6th.

Active members in good standing will be eligible.

If you plan to modify please send pics when complete. Looking forward to the three lucky winners.

I'm in, but would likely keep them stock, and enhance my honing skills. I currently have one straight and would love to try some others. It's a very generous PIF.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

I'm in. Would like a sacrificial, err, test SR, I currently just have 1 SR, so I don't do anything drastic (it being only razor, reseting bevel would be drastic :) ) to it..

Thanks for your generosity.

Last edited:
Respectfully not in, but they sure are fun to mod. I entered the 2017 (er, I think) GD Mod competition and it was a blast. They really are a good blank canvas for creativity.

Looking online, am. I correct that the general mod is to remove the stabilizer and create a thumb notch?

I'm in. I've been thinking of taking the next step from DE to SR but frankly I've been too chicken to pull the trigger. Thank you for the great PIF!

I'm in. I'm transitioning to SE's and would love to begin a SR journey.

Thanks for the opportunity either way.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I'm in. I am a newbie when it comes to honing, and am too nervous to practice on my nicer razors.
Thanks for the chance.

Respectfully not in, but they sure are fun to mod. I entered the 2017 (er, I think) GD Mod competition and it was a blast. They really are a good blank canvas for creativity.

Yes you was mate in the novice class, and yes the GD66s are fantastic to mod. and a fantastic PIF but not in

just for the info this was a Gold Dollar 66 so yep you can mod them
20180630_125135.jpg 20180630_124222.jpg

Looking online, am. I correct that the general mod is to remove the stabilizer and create a thumb notch?

The basic mod is to make it honable. Remove the bottom of the stabilizer, so that it won't hit the hone when sharpening. File the sides of the spine until they are straight, so that the blade edge will be uniform when honed - they are often wide and mis-shapened. This will give you a razor you can hone and shave with.

Thumb notches, spine work, polishing, etc. are for fun and for show.

The basic mod is to make it honable. Remove the bottom of the stabilizer, so that it won't hit the hone when sharpening. File the sides of the spine until they are straight, so that the blade edge will be uniform when honed - they are often wide and mis-shapened. This will give you a razor you can hone and shave with.

Thumb notches, spine work, polishing, etc. are for fun and for show.
Thanks for the insight.

Top Bottom