What's new

GD PIF

An update,

I am still searching for the right stones but with a buddy's help the GD turned out to be a great shaver.

Strangely there is a crack along the spine but it doesn't affect the shave.
20190420_163942.jpg
20190420_163926.jpg

Thx buddy for all your hard work.

And thx Valthun for your generosity!

Mawashi

What did you use to grind down the stabilizer?

just out of curiosity whats the spine mm and width mm for the bevel angle?

An update,

I am still searching for the right stones but with a buddy's help the GD turned out to be a great shaver.

View attachment 974438 View attachment 974439

Mawashi

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
An update,

View attachment 974438 View attachment 974439

Mawashi

I'm in!

Seriously, I have encountered quite a few of GD66 having that crack in the spine. Probably originates in the forging of the blank. Never had one come apart, though. You usually can't see it until you sand and polish it. It has never had any effect on the razor's functionality, so far.

I am glad you got a good shaver out of it. Once things get settled with the garage and other projects, I may give a GD another go.

What did you use to grind down the stabilizer?

just out of curiosity whats the spine mm and width mm for the bevel angle?

I don't have the measurements but this was what he used.

Bevel set on atoma 400, 1200, and additional work on shapton 500, 2000 and 4000. Scratches removed on a ohira jnat with a thick slurry, then a asagi from okudo with a medium slurry and dilute that slurry to only water laps.
A lot of work and a lot of spine removed.

Oh yeah sorry, I don't have the tools to calculate an exact bevel angle.
I started with a diamond file to remove the heels, but labor intensive, and don't got that much time with kids around, so I just put it to my atoma 400, figuring that it would need some spine removed either way.
Polishing/honing part was quite quick once I got a proper bevel on it.
To do a better job I could sand it but don't have that at hand yet, only metal polish paste. So other than bevel polishing on stones, the polishing was a bit halfhearted.
As long as it shaves right?^^

Top Bottom