What's new

GD honing challenge

-Who can get their GD to a very comfortable shaving edge with the fewest amount of strokes.
- Starting point should be from a set bevel (preferably 1k since I believe that is the most common, if not just list the stone)
- Goal is to get the razor in comfortable shaving range (8k range or above) in as few strokes as possible
- List what equipment was used and amount of strokes to get your razor from clean bevel to a shave ready edge
- Please only post results that have had a successful outcome

I am assuming the steel on the GDs are somewhat the same. Hopefully it can reveal if anyone spends too much time or not enough time on the different steps of honing the razor. I am sure it can help everyone become more efficient and might translate a bit into saving metal on those nicer razors (or maybe not).

I know there are other variables and a lot of people don't count strokes (progressing when they feel the razor is ready). Either way though I believe it would be helpful information for those learning how to hone on these GDs and speed up the learning process for them. Who isn't down for some fun competition while stuck at home though.

I might make another post for other razors ( maybe a popular/common brand or type of steel)

I would think that NOT trying to get a decent edge in the shortest time/least strokes would be the best way to learn to hone, but that's me.

Top Bottom